CHAPTER 5

FACING THE END

Kendra's POV

"Guess what," I said as I sat on the chair in front of Nelson. He had asked me out which was unnecessary because we usually meet every Friday.
Nelson a Medical student rarely had time so we agreed to meet every Friday and Sunday but surprisingly he had asked me out today.

"I still can't believe it myself Baby, I mean I wasn't expecting it but somehow I won," I kept on talking but Nelson didn't look at me. He maintained a steady gaze on his drink and kept sipping it slowly with his straw but I was too excited to notice that he wasn't listening.

"I walked into the class and they were all staring at me and I thought it was because I lost the contest but actually it was the opposite and I ..."

"Oh! Babe you are here," he said interrupting me. For goodness sake I have been talking for over five minutes and yet he didn't notice my presence.

"Yh, I just came in," I lied. So embarrassing, "have you ordered?"

"No I haven't," he replied back, his mind still lost in whatever he was thinking.

"Uhm... you ok?" I asked and he nodded in reply. Like I was expecting him to tell me no. Nelson rarely expresses himself, all the while we've been dating he had never spoken about his deep feelings or hurts. And No Nelson is not a quiet person neither is he the shy kind of guy.

"Excuse me, please we would like to order," I waved at the female waitress at the counter and she came to our table with a tiny piece of paper and a pen.

"What would you like please?" She said with a bright smile on her face. Being a waiter or a waitress is a hassle, you have to push yourself into smiling to all kinds of human beings but the grateful and ungrateful. I shuddered at the thought of me doing same.

"Meat pie and a bottle of coke for me please, babe what would you like?" I asked and he ordered the same thing I was having except for a drink since he already had one.

As soon as the waitress left and unusual and discomforting silence fell upon our table. Nelson kept on sipping his drink absent minded leaving me to stare and wonder. The waitress returned a few minutes later with our order.

Nelson quickly grabbed his meat pie and took a huge bite from it, he leaned back into his chair and sighed, "fuck! I almost died!" he exclaimed, his mood transition shocked me.

"What's wrong?" I asked with a concerned look on my face, not just the look I was extremely worried.

"Nothing ooo, just hunger that nearly finished me this afternoon," he replied laughing at my facial expression.

"You could've ordered something na, no be restaurant you dey?" I answered back trying as much as possible not to give him anymore reasons to laugh at me.

"Nah, how can I possibly order when My Angel is not here?" He said and I couldn't help but laugh at the way he said it.

"See whining abeg, Rest jor," I replied back and soon enough we were both a laughing mess.

"Congratulations on winning the contest, sorry for congratulating you late baby," he congratulated.

"Thank you ooo, No problem, shey you know say your babe na sharp girl," I said with my nose in the air and using my left hand as some kind of hand fan.

"Sharp girl ni sharp girl kor, abeg allow me to eat in Peace jare" he teased and we laughed. And just like that we conversed for hours, teasing and bullying each other.

Suddenly the dark mood he had earlier when I had walked in returned, he stopped talking and just stared at his empty drink bottle and that laid horizontally on his empty meat pie leather.