Chapter 27- Light in the Dark

I quickly open my eyes as I shoot up gasping for air. I look beside me in the water seeing Korra, Mako, and Bolin do the same.

My dad grabs my hand pulling me out of the water. "Thank goodness, you're all okay,"

My father opens his arm, indicating me to embrace him in a hug, which I do. "Did you find Jinora?"

"I was able to rescue her soul, but she wasn't ready to return to her body yet. She sensed the world was in grave danger."

Korra sighs walking off, sitting on a nearby rock. "She was right."

"Were you able to stop Unalaq and Vaatu?" Dad asks.

"No," Korra slightly scoffs. "They fused, when Vaatu ripped Raava right out of me and destroyed her. Vaatu won."

"No!" Bolin yells, clapping his hands together. "I'm too young to live through 10,000 years of darkness. Korra, can't you talk to one of your past lives or something?"

"When Vaatu destroyed Raava, he destroyed my connection to the past Avatars too." Korra confesses.

I could feel my father stiffen. "If that's true, then-"

"The cycle is over." Korra sadly says. "I'm the last Avatar."

Korra begins to sob. "I'm so sorry, Tenzin."

I detach myself from my father and begin to comfort Korra. "It's not your fault babes." I also begin to cry with her, we were a crying mess.

"But, you're grandfather-"

"Korra, he's still my grandfather." I cry. "It doesn't change the fact that the past Avatar's lived their lives. They're still within you, Korra. I know it."

My father approaches Korra and I. "The other Avatar's may not be able to help you anymore, but perhaps I can."

"No one can help me." Korra hopelessly murmurs.

Dads head lowly falls. "I know I haven't been the best mentor to you, but I realized it was because I had a lot of spiritual growth to do myself. There may still be a way for you to stop Vaatu."

"How?"

Dad kneels before Korra. "Let go of your attachment to who you think you are, and connect with your inner spirit."

"Haven't you heard anything I said?" Korra lowly says. "Raava is gone. I'm not connected to a spirit anymore."

"He's not talking about Raava," I interfere. "Raava is not who you are."

My father nods his head. "Come with me. I need to show you something."

I helped Korra up as we followed my father up to a gnarly, old tree.

"Why are you showing me Vaatu's prison?"

"Because," Dad replies. "This tree had a history long before it held Vaatu. This is the Tree of Time. And the legends say its roots bind the spirit and physical worlds together."

"And, you think this tree can help me somehow?"

"Yes." Dad answers. "I have read that long ago, the ancients would meditate beneath this tree and connect with the great cosmic energy of the universe."

The three of us enter the hollow of the tree, and as Korra enters, various memories appear, ranging from her adventure regarding the Equalists to Wan's past.

"Wow," I awe. "These are Korra's memories. Look, I'm over there."

My father placed his hand on my shoulder. "The Tree of Time remembers all. Korra, the most powerful thing about you is not the spirit of Raava, but your own inner spirit. You have always been strong, unyielding, fearless."