𝟎𝟎𝟑𝟔

"This is so motherfaxing incredible,"

I sat up straight in my bed, arching a brow. "Motherfaxing?"

Miko grinned. "My euphemism for motherfu—"

"Okay," I held up a hand. "I know now."

Miko just grinned even wider. The girl was at my house because she'd suggested we hang out like best girlfriends and have a girl's night at my house. I obliged to the idea, because one, I didn't want her experience here to end up how it did when I was interviewing Raf. Something told me he would never be comfortable with me around ever again. I had overstepped his boundaries and had basically committed attempted murder. 

And second, I had had too much on my mind to consider letting loose, even a little. But in the hours it took for Miko to finally win the argument over, I had come to know that she could be very...persuasive. 

Miko was lying down on my king-sized bed on top of velvet sheets that covered my legs. She eventually rested her head in my lap, angling her legs at almost a right angle against the nearest wall.

"So, what shall we do?" The girl angled her head up at me. 

"Whatever you want," I looked down at her. "Мой дом - твой дом." 

"What's that mean?"

"My house is your house," 

Miko grinned up at me and I mentally sighed. I was so not going to used to this. "So I heard you have a pool..."

✘✘✘

It was especially chilly outside, the wind blowing lightly but cold enough to frost the windows. Miko was swimming laps around my massive pool that split through six different ways, while I sat by the hot tub, waiting for it to heat up. While I waited, something twisted inside me. The more I resisted, the more it hurt. So I let it. 

MECH. Silas. Vassily. Me. 

There were connections. I was connected to Vassily and Vassily was connected to Silas, or in an even broader aspect, MECH. But how I was possibly connected, no, affiliated with MECH didn't make sense to me. Silas was a shadow. I've never even seen him at one point in my life. Or maybe I have. But where? When? 

I raked my brain for details. I delved into my memory banks. But nothing came up. For some reason, I felt like crying. I didn't know why. It's just that growing up, I had heard whispers of this thing called MECH. But never about a person called Silas. The worst part was that Silas seemed to know me. 

I saw it back there—the old man and Silas were partners. They were in this operation jointly. Growing up, I also believed that there was always a man in the picture, and that had always been Vassily. I never knew my father, he may have been the man who brought me into this world, but he wasn't the man who raised me. Vassily took me in. He called me one of his own. He was the man in the picture. But discovering that Silas somehow knew me from somewhere made me think that there evidently was a second man in the picture too. 

I shook my head, in deep thought. Where the hell did Silas meet me? Was I even mentally capable of remembering what happened all those years ago? Don't tell me my mother was having an affair. Holy Petura, what if I'm his illegitimate child-

"Uhh, Earth to Em? Whatcha thinking about over there? Come swim with me!" Miko's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. 

I was too cold to do anything but shed the floor-length robe I was wearing over my swimsuit and slip into the steaming water of my hot tub. My body objected, then relaxed into the sting of the heat. Then I looked down. I had to because suddenly, I became aware of how little of my body the swimsuit covered.