IN A MIST

Sometimes you think you're gonna get it
But you don't and that's just the way it goes

14 | 15

Aurelia

I opened my apartment door and immediately felt the creepy shadow in the dark room.

I carefully laid down my bag, had my wrist straightened, measured the possible outcome and calculated how to bring who ever it is down without alerting the neighbors.

"You're home."
He beat me to it and welcomed me. He sounded so familiar and it wouldn't take me a second to guess who it is.

I relaxed, retraced my steps to switch on the light.

"Don't creep me that way, for your own good though."

"Sorry."

I slumped down the sofa rubbing my back neck earnestly.

"I came to know the progress."

I know that's why you're here.

"I asked for an apartment close to that Costello mansion but instead you got me a pain in the ass apartment."

He sighed while taking a sit opposite me.

"Did you expect me to find one in the middle of nowhere. This was the closest I could find."

"Thanks to you I have to walk a fucking mile before resting."

He looked mouth agape at me, probably wondering what he did wrong.

I was only trying to avoid the topic, I haven't made any progress yet and it's like I've lost my touch.

"Did something happen?"
He asked leaning in closer to me.

"Nothing."

"Then something is definitely wrong."

I made a mistake. No, we made a mistake, if that's what you want to know.

"We didn't check the details well."

"What do you mean."

"How the hell did we miss that."

"Miss what?"
I looked at him and saw confusion written all over him. He fixed his eyes on me without even blinking.

I sighed and sat up to lean closer like him.

"I was almost killed today."

"Killed?"

I nodded. Relaxing back into the sofa.

"The Costello's don't need security guards because the house was built into a security system, very deadly that the lasers could fry you to your death."

He leaned back like me with a smirk on his face.

"I know about that already."