{Eighteen}

A/N: I came here to vent, but alas, I have written it and deleted it, and honestly that was all I needed. I hope you all enjoy this chapter :) I like a little touch of happiness before getting into the thick of the plot *tiny, really rather miniscule, evil grin*

Harry was nervous. This was his first bout of field work since the switch, and while prepared for any outcome, it wasn't just his and his auror's lives at risk. Caelum hung in the balance, Regulus and Astra more frustrated than ever that there was nothing they could do money or influence wise, wizard or muggle.

It was a miracle they respected James enough to understand he couldn't just resign as minister to get the boy back. Harry himself teetered on the edge of understanding and wishing they could just get the business done with.

Getting things done was his job though, especially this specific thing, not his father's.

Everyone looked well-rested and serious that morning, their wands secured and plans memorized as they all sipped a strong brew from a ministry house elf. There was no sugar, no milk, it was black and strongly caffeinated, no one unwise enough to complain.

The stand-by team at the Ministry looked much more tired than Harry's team, having been there since their shift started only a few hours ago. If something went wrong, they would know and be brought in. Elsewise they were to stay here and wait for them to come back to help file the reports and get everyone home. Assuming all went well.

Wards, charms, brooms, and they were off in the cool, September air after quick apparition. Harry led first, Tonks and Dornan behind him on each side, then completing the formation was O'Reilly. If they could hear his heart beating through his chest, then maybe they were just a tad too close.

On the grounds of the very tiny, warn down house the owl had led them to, Harry spotted a rather faint creature that stuck to the shadows, seemingly content to linger in the corner of one's eye. Surprised the thestral had stuck around, he figured they had to be in the right place and on a good path forwards.

There were two entrances. Tonks and he would take the front hoping to encounter Peter first, while the other two were going to hopefully circumvent the encounter and extract Caelum from the rear.

As they entered the front door, prepared for any eventuality, they only sighed to themselves when it slammed shut behind them. It was going to be an endeavor for certain. The opening of the back door was heard next, another slam, then Harry heard it, the whoosh of the wand through the silent air, and he threw up a shield before a violent, red hex could catch him or Tonks.

Peter was here.

He couldn't see him, had anticipated the use of the cloak, but because of how quiet the country was, they could hear his footsteps, having not dampened them as the aurors had.

A curse flew, this time Tonks protected them, while Harry used his opportunity to attack.

Peter handled the two of them with impressive dexterity on his own grounds, but was losing the advantage of distance and invisibility when Harry finally spelled the cloak off after a little back and forth.

What was really a couple minutes felt like hours until Dornan rushed behind Peter with O'Reilly watching their backs, Caelum in tow looking nothing but tired and a healthy portion of scared. He was a little older-looking than Harry recalled seeing in photos, and the brief thought meant the rebounded hex Tonks threw off herself landed on him.

This world really was going to get the better of him.

In the free moment Peter had, he looked over his shoulder right as Caelum was whisked away side-along by Philippe Dornan.