{Epilogue I}

Diagon Alley, the first attack...

Harry cursed, attempting to cast something with his left hand, but was unable to reach his wand in time. He'd never had such a discouraging fight, with Hermione down and being so caught off-guard by the sheer anticipation this figure seemed to possess. His wounded pride and stinging shoulder meant he suffered another spell, this final one doing him in.

Falling back onto the cobblestone of Diagon Alley, Harry slid off into unconsciousness.

When he awoke, the first thing he did- and the only thing he'd ever imagine doing- was limp over to see if Hermione was alright. He checked as he hobbled to see if their attacker was still around, too. No one had bothered to check on them yet, so they must not have even been out all that long. A few heads peaked out from around the corners as he caught his breath, but Harry was more worried over Hermione as she rubbed her head and looked at him wearily over the windowsill that separated them.

"What happened?" She hissed at him, sounding disappointed in them both for their poor handling of their assailant.

"Dunno," Harry replied pathetically, "I finally got a chance to spell the tosser, and he took me down instead... it's like he knew what I was going to do," glancing at their surroundings he found his manuscript worse for wear under some broken glass

"Miserably handled, the both of us," Hermione said as he picked it up, dusting it off. "No amount of red pen is going to fix that."

He only glared.

"I've got another copy at home. So much for my day off... I've got to report this attack to the DMLE before anything gets too far away from the crime scene."

"That's boring," she added lightly.

With a sigh, Harry nodded. This book had been what they were looking forward to for months, almost a year, and now it was real and their objectives were left to their careers: what they aspired to as an auror and a high-up in the ministry.

Harry sent a patronus to the head of DMLE to inform him there was an investigation to undergo.

With a shared glance, Hermione frowned at him.

"Is this... it, do you think?"

"What do you mean?" Harry asked as he adjusted his clothes, marking off the destructed property with his wand, waving to people to tell them he was fine.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled the war is done, and has been for some time, but I miss the excitement, or maybe... I don't know, the unpredictability, figuring and puzzling out mysteries."

"More fun things will come with time, Hermione," he answered, "Right now we have to focus on this mystery- ah, there's McMillan. Stay there and I'll be right back to grab your statement."

She sighed, knowing Harry was content with this pace of life. When he did realize they'd spent the last five years merely existing at a slow roll, however, maybe they could go on another grand adventure.

If there had been no war maybe Hermione wouldn't even have this wanderlust triggered by a random attack that had left them both hurt. One would think that a war would extinguish her need to keep moving and keep going on quests to save all she could, but while war hadn't been fun, it was purposeful. Her purpose now rested in the hands of the minister and his Wizengamot's whim.

Looking at the book in her hand, she opened the first chapter, Harry's slice of wisdom on the first rise of Voldemort before describing his own tale in the rest. If none of it had happened, she imagined that they probably might not have been friends. So many possibilities, maybe blood purity would've been pushed to the side and his parents and hers would both still know and love them. Maybe she would've lightened up a bit without the darkness of war, dated more, made friendships out of something more than defeating a troll in the bathrooms.

Harry came back over and hovered as an Auror asked her questions.

When it was over, he was released from the case, McMillan apparently forcing his day off back onto him, while Hermione had spent the whole time scheming.

"Let's go out," she said with a grin, "Just you and me tonight, loosen up, maybe even hit some muggle spots...."

Her hopefulness was endearing to Harry, so much so he couldn't possibly say no to her.

"Alright, what's gotten into you?"

"We've been practically sedentary, Harry. Letting life pass us by, we used to quite literally ride dragons and thwart the strongest wizard the world has ever seen, don't you think we deserve a little fun?"

He smiled, wide and broad, as he nodded.

"You're barmy, Hermione."

"I know."

"And I'm the strongest wizard the world has ever seen."

She only glared.

Harry's smirk didn't diminish, but then he added lightly, "Wasn't the war enough for you?"

Hermione only shook her head.

"War was war, now I want to chase after life on purpose, see grand things with fervor instead of fear."

Harry laughed.

"Fine, I'm in. Drinks tonight."

She squealed and apparated them unceremoniously to her apartment, to a little more joy in their life, and hopefully to a happy ending.