9. Date night

The ride to the restaurant is quite, I can't stop thinking about the text as we zoom past structures. Finally, we arrive at the restaurant.

The security greets us as we enter the place and she pushes the door open for us. A classical jazz song is playing in the background as we try to locate our table.

The walls are creamy and rusticated while effulgent chandeliers and lights dangle from the ceiling illuminating restaurant with a deep golden tint. The characteristic smell of a mix of fried food and pastries invade my nostrils, causing my stomach to growl.

As we take our seats a man wearing a white shirt and a black bow-tie leans towards us. "Good evening, what would you like to order?" He asks in a diplomatic voice. I grab the menu and skim through, I almost shoot my eyes out of my sockets when I notice the prices. I turn to face Damien, "you said it wasn't expensive!" I whisper harshly.

He shrugs. I could barely find anything affordable on the menu so I drop it back on the table, "I'll have sparkling water and whatever he's having."

"Are you sure you'll like Caviar?" He asks with furrowed brows.

"Well there's a first time for everything."

With that the waiter walks away. "So any updates on the case?" He asks.

I shake my head, "no not yet." I fold my arms and slouch back on my chair, my mind wandering to the text I received from my mom earlier. I didn't really have any money on me, I'd probably have to resume work sooner than I expected to be able to cater for this expense. I sigh and flip my hair back.

"You seem spaced out, what's wrong?" His voice rings, drawing me out of my buffering thoughts. I sigh, unsure of whether or not to tell him. " It's nothing, just some family issues." I fake a smile, a gesture I'm sure he registers as forced.

I bring out my phone, "wanna take a selfie?" I ask. He quietly scoots his chair such that he's beside me, instead of opposite. I give him the phone camera since his arms are longer.

I pose with pouted lips for some pictures and after clicking a few, a notification drops on my phone.

Luke❤️
la condición de papá está empeorando -[time stamp ]

Damien looks at me with a wrinkle on his forehead, I snatch the phone away from his grip and fake a smile. "Sorry it's just my brother, let me reply him."

While I am typing, the waiter comes with a tray and serves us the food. I look up at Damien who has already started eating. "Ingrid, you look really stressed out, are you sure everything is alright?" I nod, stuffing my mouth with chicken to keep it sealed.

He places his palm on top of mine rubbing circles on my hand with his thumb. A few minutes go by and I'm still lost in thought. I need to keep my ticking brain occupied, I need to channel my energy somewhere else.

"Can we go to Angels, I need a distraction?" I notice his face contort into a confused look. "Not like I don't like this date but, I just need something familiar, some alcohol, a few shots, I just need-"

"It's okay, finish your food and I'll take you to angels," he says. I smile weakly at him then continue to stab my chicken with a fork, I probably just ruined the date, all because I wanted to get drunk.

*🍃🍾🚬*

The loud music in the background fills my ears, drowning anyway any other from of sound. The flashing disco lights flutter in and out of my vision and the stench of vodka lingers around my nose. I subtly sway along with the music while Damien follows behind me.

We eventually get to the bar and I plop on the stool. Liam looks at me with an arched eyebrow, I signal with my fingers, indicating that he poured us two shot. "I thought you weren't coming to work, what happened?" He asks while serving the drinks.

I look towards Damien, "I'm here with a date, just came to have fun I'm not working today, maybe tomorrow. where's Camila?" Liam stretches his neck to look around and just then Camila appeared by the corner. "Ingrid! What are you doing here!?"she shrieks.

"Relax I'm not working, just came to get my mind off things," I say collecting one of the shot glasses that Liam passed. Camila frowns, "why here?" She narrowed her eyes on me. I shrug then I tilt my head as I down the content of the cup. "Well as long as you're not working," she concludes then walks away.