An Immoral Condition

"I'm sorry on my mother and sister's behalf, Mel. They are… "

"It's okay, Evan. They were not wrong though," Melanie halted him. They both were sitting on his bed.

"I should have thought before coming here, even after knowing everything. They were right. I'm an addition to your burden," She said.

Evan clutched her hand and replied.

"Don't say this. You're not a burden and I'm more than happy to take your responsibility because I want to be with you always,"

Melanie smiled at his words and then nodded.

"But right now, I can't stay at your house. Your mother and sister won't like it. They.. "

"You're staying here, Mel because I don't want last night to repeat itself again,"

Melanie noticed a sudden kind of firmness in his voice and words.

"What if something would have happened to you? How could I have forgiven myself that I couldn't even take care of the person I love?"

Melanie stuck on a breath, after hearing him.

"I'm fine, Evan and thanks to your boss, who helped me last night. I had never thought, at this time, anyone can think for a stranger so much but he indeed is a very good human,"

Evan turned silent, hearing her but then smiled.

"I hope, I would've been able to meet him, so that I could thank him for last night," She uttered, looking down at her burned palm which had even started healing.

"He thought so much for a stranger,"

Evan wordlessly heard her and then stated.

"Don't worry, if I got the chance to meet him in his company then I'll thank him personally for helping you,"

"Really?" A big smile formed on her face. He nodded.

"Thank you and please tell him that I'll forever be grateful to him for his help,"

Evan just nodded again at his answer. Melanie smiled and again looked down at her burned palm with that question in her heart that why did a stranger cure her pain?

After a couple of days, Melanie was staying at Evan's house. She knew his mother and sister were displeased by her presence there but Evan persuaded her to stay with him because she had nowhere else to go. They both were living in the same room but Melanie had made sure to keep herself away from any kind of intimidating activity with him because she wasn't comfortable with it. She didn't even sleep with him on the same bed.

She knew all these things were bothering Evan. She understood everything that they both were in a relationship from the past 4 years and she had never let him to even properly touch her but she couldn't make herself give in to him. She wasn't ready for it and she was the kind of person to listen to her heart rather than her mind.

"Ok, thank you for informing me," Melanie hung up the call and sighed. It was the 7th rejection she had gotten within these two days.

Melanie was trying to get a job as a maid because she couldn't apply for a high class job as she hadn't even graduated. Her step mother didn't let her to complete her studies after her father's death.

She even got the job of a maid yesterday but today they rejected her and she herself didn't know why. Why all of a sudden they rejected her?

Melanie sighed and decided to go out of his house and search for work in some other houses. She didn't want to be a burden on anyone, not even Evan.