3 | 𝒂 𝒔𝒉𝒆𝒑𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒌𝒔𝒈𝒊𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈

☤

......

𝟗 | 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬

PRESENT, SEATTLE

𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟓

A sigh escaped my lips as I stood on the walkway overlooking Seattle Grace. I could usually get lost in the bustling atmosphere of the hospital to distract myself, but sadly today was not one of those days.

The words the chief said replayed in my head again and again.

"You'll be a good fit here."

"Rayne."

I turned, and Addison stopped beside me. "If you kept requesting me on your service, I'll think I'm your favorite."

"You are my favorite." Addison smiled.

I looked back at the hospital lobby and grabbed my hair, pulling it up into a ponytail. "Addison, I don't want to talk about Mark."

"I think you'll feel better if you do." Addison pushed. "You can't keep this in."

I knew that was right, but I wasn't ready to think about my feelings for my brother's best friend, my ex-best friend. "Let's drop."

"Fine," Addison grumbled. "Savvy called in for a consult."

I blinked. "Why?"

"I don't know," Addison said. "She didn't say over the phone." She wrapped her arms around me and pulled me towards one of the conference rooms. "Let's find out."

It's been three years since I last saw Savvy Derek's and Addison's friends. I didn't know them as well as my brother and Addison did, but I also blocked out a lot from that point in my life, especially since James and my birth reentered my life at that point.

"A positive test result isn't the end of the world, Sav." Addison started. "It just means that you have a gene mutation that could..."

"I know what it is," Savvy interjected. "I've talked to the genetic counselor. I've been to my gynecologist...and now I'm here." I leaned against the wall, and Savvy sat at the conference table across from Addison. "Addie, you're the best surgeon there is."

Addison smiled. "True. But this isn't surgical."

"Yes, it is." Savvy pushed.

"No, Sav, you understand you don't have cancer." Addison reminded her, grabbing her hands.

"And I have no intention of getting it." Savvy pointed out.

I pushed off the wall. "You want Addie to..."

"I want you to take out my ovaries and the uterus." Savvy started. "And when that's done ... you're gonna find the best person out there to cut off my breasts. "