4 | 𝒂𝒏 𝒖𝒏𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒚 𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒊𝒅𝒂𝒚

☤

......

𝟏𝟐 | 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐦𝐚 𝐆𝐨𝐭 𝐑𝐮𝐧 𝐎𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐁𝐲 𝐚 𝐑𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐞𝐫

PRESENT, SEATTLE

𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟓

"дъщ𝑒𝑝я."

I smiled. "Баще."

"What are you doing in Seattle?" He asked.

I looked at him in his orange jumpsuit across the table and laid my hands flat in my lap. "I work here now."

"I thought you were in New York." He furrowed his brows. "Please don't tell me you moved because of me."

I shook my head. "No. I need a change."

But that's not the whole truth.

"How's your intern year?" He asked, leaning in with a slight smile on his face.

"Good," I told him. "I made some friends, and I like my resident."

"Isn't Derek working there?" Dad pointed out. I nodded. "We'll at least have someone looking out for you."

I moved my hands onto the table, wanting desperately to reach for him and touch, but I knew I couldn't from the handcuffs keeping his arms locked in the chair.

"Rayne?"

I sighed and got to the point of why I was really here. "Your hearing coming up."

"Yeah, it is." Dad frowned. "My lawyer filed it last month."

I dug my nails into the table. "Do you think it'll go well?"

"I hope so," Dad said. "But if not, I told them this is the last time."

"What?" I exclaimed.

"Yeah." He sighed, not letting his gaze leave mine. "It'll be okay, honey."

I shook my head, not believing him. "Баще, you got sentenced for life. For something you didn't do."

"I just don't want to keep getting your hopes up, honey." He explained, and I could hear the sadness in his voice. "It crushes you every time my retrial gets denied."

I blinked back the tears. "But we can't give up."

"You have to know when to choose your battles," Dad said. "And this one looks like it's not on our side."

"Time's up." A guard yelled.

I leaned back as two guards moved towards us with keys clanking on their hips, and I couldn't help as tears fell on my cheeks. They pulled my dad out of his chair, and I stood up. "Can I hug him?" The guards at each other look. "Please."