7 | 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒂𝒍𝒊𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒔

☤

...☤...

𝟐𝟏 | 𝐒𝐮𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

PRESENT, SEATTLE

𝐉𝐚𝐧𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟔

"Mr. and Mrs. Gibson, I'm Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd. I'll be covering for Doctor Pollack."

I slid my hands into my blue scrubs while standing next to Addison in Mrs. Gibson's hospital room. "Mrs. Gibson had a pre-term premature rupture of her membranes at 28 weeks."

"She's confined to supervised bed rest for 7 weeks and has a low-grade fever." Cristina continued.

Mrs. Gibson groaned. "Can't you just schedule a C? Believe me, I'm ready to have this baby."

"Hey, you and me both." Mr. Gibson chuckled briefly, looking at his wife.

I exchanged a glance with Meredith. 

"I want to get your blood work back before we make any further decisions," Addison explained.

"I have to pee. Again." Mrs. Gibson groaned.

She sat up, grabbing her husband's hand as he helped her out of bed.

"Come on, here we go." Mr. Gibson said as an afterthought, staring intensely at Addison. "I appreciate you taking over my wife's case; uh, uh, Dr. Pollack says you're the best."

Addison smiled. "Oh, it's my pleasure, Mr. Gibson."

"He didn't mention that ah—wow, you bear a striking resemblance to a young Catherine Deneuve." Mr. Gibson told her. Addison stared at him in surprise. "Oh, you've, you've never heard that before?"

I raised my brows and led towards Meredith. "Is he hitting on her with his wife in the bathroom?"

"I think so," Meredith mumbled.

"Uh, eh, no. Sorry, I have to say it's a first." Addison stammered, looking uncomfortable.

"Been told I look like Halle Berry," Bailey mumbled beside me.

I bit my lip and laughed at my resident holding her baby to her chest.

"Ah, beautiful. Beautiful. Well, Miss Deneuve." Mr. Gibson smiled. Addison's pager beeped, and she clicked it off, trying to avoid Mr. Gibson's gaze. "Of course, you are too, but by extension."

Addison cleared her throat, and I could tell that Mr. Gibson was making a little uncomfortable with his flattery. " Right, we'll be back up later to check on your wife."

I watched my brother's wife rush out of the room and follow Bailey and my friends as Mr. Gibson said, "Look forward to it!"

I walked behind Bailey as her pager went off, and her baby, Tuck, cried.