5 | 𝒏𝒖𝒓𝒔𝒆𝒔 𝒐𝒏 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒊𝒌𝒆

☤

...☤...

𝟏𝟓 | 𝐁𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤 𝐨𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡

PRESENT, SEATTLE

𝐉𝐚𝐧𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟔

I brushed through my hair as a knock echoed throughout my apartment. I set my brush down, walked through my living room, and pulled open the door.

"He gave me a key."

I closed the door. "Nice to see you two, Cristina."

"Can we focus on me here?" Cristina asked. I nodded, padded over to my couch, and sat as she continued. "He wants me to move in."

"Burke?" I asked. She nodded, pacing around my living room. "Well, do you want to move in with him?"

"I don't know." Cristina frowned. "What if we don't work out?"

I don't know I'd ever since Cristina so unsure of herself before. "Cristina, you need to stop thinking with your brain." She raised a brow. "And start feeling with your heart."

"I'm being practical." Cristina pointed out.

I pulled my knees to my chest. "That's the problem." Cristina stopped pacing. "How about you think of it like a test? He could be testing you to see if there's a future in the relationship."

"You're right." Cristina nodded. "It's all a big test."

I watched as she rushed out of my apartment, slamming the door behind her. "You're welcome!"

I shook my head and headed back to my room. A hand wrapped around my waist, pulling me into a lap. I smiled as Mark brushed his lips against mine.

"First day back." He murmured against my lips.

I rest my hands against his bare chest. "Yeah."

"I'm going to miss you," Mark said. "Want me to drop you off?"

I looked into his eyes. "I thought you were heading back to Manhattan today?"

"I am," Mark said. "My flight got delayed."

I raised a brow. "Are you sure?"

"It's on the way, sunshine," Mark told me. "Are you ready to get rid of me so soon?"

I shook my head, moving my arms around his neck. "No. I know you have patients waiting to see you."

Mark has stayed in Seattle for a month, and I loved every minute. He took me on dates like he promised around the city. I was slowly breaking his resolve on Seattle. But even though we're sort of a couple, my brother still didn't know. It's not like I'm trying to keep Mark a secret or anything, but my brother is a big-shot neurosurgeon.