CHAPTER 4

Usually, when Dazai and Chuuya didn't share a class, the redhead would sit alone, everyone actively avoiding getting close to him for some reason. So Chuuya was quite surprised when a boy with white hair sat down next to him during history class. All the kids in the room were shouting and picking random fights since the teacher was too drunk or simply too unbothered to scold them, so no one noticed the two boys.

Chuuya side glanced at the boy, at first deciding to just ignore him, but that plan quickly vanished when he turned towards him, smiling. "I'm Shirase," the boy introduced himself, waiting for Chuuya to do the same.

Chuuya wasn't here to make friends. He had no interest in getting close to the other "students" in here, however, since he already had to deal with Dazai, he thought that having someone else to hang out with would give him a good opportunity to tell Dazai to fuck off and get some time away from him.

So, after staying silent for a few seconds, he looked away from Shirase. "I'm Chuuya," he said, putting his hands in his jacket's pockets and slumping in his chair, dreading the end of class, since him and Dazai shared the next one.

"You seem really chill," Shirase suddenly said, dragging his chair closer to Chuuya's. "I don't get why you hang out with that weirdo though," he continued, avoiding the obvious fact that Chuuya didn't fee like maintaining the conversation.

The last remark got Chuuya's attention, making him sit up in his chair with interest. "What weirdo?" he asked, already knowing the answer.

"Dazai," Shirase said as if he was the only weirdo in the entire school that he could be reffering to. "I saw the two of you hanging out and I saw the scene in the cafeteria yesterday."

Chuuya couldn't help but roll his eyes remembering the previous day. "Don't associate me with that waste of bandages. We're roommates and he made it his personal mission to follow me everywhere and annoy the shit out of me," he told Shirase, feeling himself get annoyed just thinking about Dazai.

The white haired boy laughed at Chuuya's obvious hatred towards the taller boy. After he managed to stop laughing, a serious expression fell on his face as he looked at Chuuya again. "He's bad news, you know. I mean, everyone in this school is, but especially him," he said, piquing the redhead's interest once again.

"Really? I thought he was just an annoying bastard. What's so special about him?" he asked, trying to find out more about his roommate from Shirase.

The boy leaned torwards him, lowering his voice. "Nobody really knows a lot about him, but everyone knows that he's done some real fucked up shit before coming here. Apparently he was put in here for killing someone," the boy explained. Then, he leaned away from Chuuya, sitting normally in his chair again. "During the free period, come outside. My friend, Yuan, knows more about him than I do. We'll wait for you there," he continued.

Just as he finished talking, the bell rang, announcing the end of the class, stopping Chuuya from asking further questions. Before he could stop him, Shirase got up, mingling in the crowd of people.

The boy sighed, also getting up and walking towards his next class, praying in his head that Dazai would skip again. But, as if the god or divinity he was praying to decided to mock him, a cold hand wrapped around Chuuya's wrist, pulling him in a secluded, dark hallway.

"The fuck are you doing, dickhead," Chuuya snapped, pulling his hand away.

Dazai turned towards him, giving him a bright smile. "I missed you too, slug," he sarcastically said, grabbing him by his hand once again and continuing to drag him somewhere.

Chuuya tried to break free again, but Dazai's grip on his hand tightened. "Let go of me, asshole!" the redhead snapped.

The taller boy sighed, letting go of his hand and turning towards him again. "I don't feel like going to class. And I know a good place where we can skip; a place where no one will bother us. You coming or not?" Dazai said, waiting for Chuuya's response.

Truth be told, Chuuya did not feel like doing math right now, especially with Dazai's constant annoying comments, so skipping class didn't sound half bad. "You better not make me regret it, shithead," he said, earning a chuckle from Dazai, who continued leading the way.

At the end of the hallway, a small, almost hidden wooden door was half open, the smell of books and smoke coming from inside. Dazai pushed open the door, revealing a dimly lit yet cozy room filled with bookshelves. A man in his late twenties with red hair was sitting at a big desk in the corner, smoking and reading from a book.

Dazai casually entered the room, heading directly towards that man. "Odasaku!" he cheerfully said, plopping down on the chair in front of his desk. The man looked at him, seeming unbothered and used to his presence, then his attention shifted towards Chuuya, who was still standing in the doorframe.

"I brought a friend with me today. I hope you don't mind it," Dazai said, stretching over the desk and taking out a packet of cigarettes from Odasaku's front pocket.

"A friend?" the man asked, perking up an eyebrow, snatching the packet of cigarettes from Dazai's hands before he could take any out.

Dazai puffed in annoyance, slumping in his chair. "Yes, a friend. Are you just gonna sit there all day?" he asked, adressing his question to Chuuya.

The boy closed the door behind him, fully entering the room. He walked towards the desk, looking around at all the books. "My name is Chuuya," he introduced himself to the older man. He nodded at him, then turned his attention back to the book he was reading.

Dazai got up from his seat, turning around and walking through the bookshelves. "We'll just go hang out in the reading area," he told Odasaku.

The two boys entered another smaller room within the original room, filled with couches and chairs. A big window looking over the entirety of the backyard of the school. Dazai sat down on the big window frame, Chuuya doing the same.

The bandaged boy took two cigarettes from his sleeve, giving one to the redhead. Chuuya reluctantly took it, looking at the other boy with confusion written all over his face. "When did you-"

Dazai just chuckled, putting the cigarette in his mouth.

"We don't have anything to light them with though, so you stole them for nothing," Chuuya commented.

Dazai looked at him, a smirk forming on his face, then he pulled out a lighter from his other sleeve. "Oda always keeps his lighter in his cigarette pack," he said, lighting his cigarette before tossing the lighter to Chuuya.

The boy stared at Dazai, who was looking outside the window while smoking, his eyes filled with the same coldness they were filled with that one time when he spent way too long in the bathroom, and Chuuya wondered for the first time if he really wanted to find out more about Dazai and his past.

To be continued...

Hi! If you liked this chapter, don't forget to vote it! :P