We're Back

"10K, Karma, goddammit. You got to stop leaving me like that." Doc said when we returned to the camp. I followed tommy inside the camp not lifting my eyes from my boots. 

"Now, is that anyway to greet your momma" Warren's voice rang out. My eyes shot up and met with hers.

"Warren!" I shouted. I lunged towards her and she embraced my small frame.

"He's gone!" Murphy yelled from a tent. 

"What?" Warren asked.

"Burgess! He's gone!" Murphy said. everyone ran towards the tent where he was.

"What?" Warren called. A zombie growl from behind us pulled our attention.

The lieutenant who was now a zombie, ran towards us tearing down the surrounding barricades that he could. Everyone rang shots off. He took Lucy's gun and grabbed her. Lucy began to scream. I tossed my sniper to 10k and grabbed a blade from my hip. As I was approaching, Doc rifle whipped him and Warren hit him with a shovel. 

I pushed his body on the ground and went for the kill stab. Nothing we were doing was working. I left my daggers in where they stuck, as my body fell to the ground. The zombie now on top of me, I had to push his body up and defend myself. my arm slipped and his face came way too close for comfort. 

"Ah! 10!" I screamed. The weight was lifted off me and three shots went off. I looked up to see Tommy holding his pistol up and looking very pissed off. 

"Clear!" Lilly yelled aiming her gun towards us. Everyone went in different directions to get away from the zombie. 

She let off 36 shots before shooting her shotgun through his head, taking a chunk off. Then she shot his leg taking him down, she didn't quit until he didn't get back up.

We buried the body and Lilly put down their photos of each other. She saluted his grave then grabbed her shit and walked away. we all followed her.

"This road will take us north. We'll meet up with the other convoys and join them to Newmerica." She said.

"What the hell? Hey, Warren! What are you doing?!" Doc called out. She was crouched down looking at the dirt. She stood up and began to walk the other way.

"Chief! Where are you going?!" Doc called. "She's going east." He said.

"I thought Newmerica was north." Murphy said.

"Well, that's what I thought." Doc said.

"No, she's going the wrong way." Lilly confirmed.

"Right? Hey! Hey!" Doc called. She never once turned around.

"Wait! Where you going now?!" Murphy asked as Lucy walked to follow her.

"Do you think she even realizes she's going the wrong way?" Doc asked.

"Not in her mind." Murphy said.

I slipped my hand into tommy's. His gaze shifted from Warren's retreating figure to mine. 

"I love you" He whispered. 

"I love you" I whispered back. He kissed my temple before the two of us followed after Warren and Lucy.

"Oh not you guys too!" Doc whined.

"Wait! Why are you going now?!" Murphy called.

"Well, you know me. I don't like it when we split up I'm going with them." He said.

Lilly turned around and we all got in the truck and waited for Murphy to join us. 

---

"Why can't the virus mutate into happy peace-loving zombies that crave weed instead of brains?" Doc asked. We were currently scavenging for supplies.

"Let's get moving. Let's go." Warren said. We continued walking through the land of cars. everywhere you looked there was another fucking vehicle.

"Murphy! Catch up!" Warren called.

"You know, we must've lost those Zona goons by now!" He said.

"Yeah, well keep moving!" Warren ordered.

"What kinda ass menagerie. Looks like Satan's parking lot." Doc complained.

"They warned us about this in our mission briefings. Officially, it's "Spontaneous Mass Mortality Sight number 247" But civilians call it "The Great Pile." Goes on for 200 square miles. No way around it. No road through it. Just one big no-go zone." Lilly explained.

"And yet, here we go. Newmerica is looking better all the time." Murphy said.

"Roger that." Lilly said.

"You know, if I was a zombie, and I am kind-of an honorary one this is exactly the kind of place I would hang out waiting to eat the brains of someone stupid enough to come along." Murphy said.

"Murphy, move your ass!" Warren said. 

"Here baby" Tommy's voice came from beside me. 

"What?" I asked 

"Close your eyes." He said. I stopped walking and did what he asked. He started messing with my hair and my nose scrunched up in confusion. "Okay done" He said.

I smiled at him. "Wanna tell me what you did?" I asked giggling.

"Oh shit. sorry" He pulled me to a car with a mirror I could see myself in. He put a beautiful purple and blue arrangement of flowers in my hair.

"Tommy! It's beautiful" I smiled. My hands cupped his face and pulled him in for a kiss. 

"Let's not get left behind" He reminded me and we took off after the group.

---

"So Warren, I don't mean to be a buzzkill or anything on your mission from God or whatever it is. But... do you have any idea where the hell we're going?" Murphy asked.

"East."

"East? Just East? How far East?"

"Not sure. But for now, as far as we can go." She walked in front of Lucy. "Picking up anything?"

"Everything." Lucy responded. We continued walking.

"So here we were, marching through The Great Pile after eight years of apocalypse. Junk so thick, I wouldn't know a Z if it was three feet in front of me. All of this on Lieutenant Warren's orders. I can't shake the feeling this was all a big mistake." Doc said.

"Are you talking to me? Cuz I already know this stuff." Tommy said. I laughed.

"Oh, yeah no, I'm just working on my inner monologue." Doc said.

"Yeah, well try focusing on the inner part." Murphy said.