Murphy Minions

"One moment, doctor." La Reina said.

"He tried to cheat you once before. Right? One way to make sure your food isn't being poisoned Have your chef taste it first." Warren lowered her voice.

"On second thought. It is such a monumental accomplishment that the honor of the first dose should really go to you." La Reina said.

"I can't. I wouldn't presume to take-" Kurian got cut off

"Oh, please. I insist." La Reina said. I shook my head.

"I'm not worthy, my queen. If anyone should have the honor of the first dose, it should be you. Don't you think?" Kurian tried to get out of this.

"If that's what I thought, doctor, I would have said it. Well then, doctor?" La Reina said.

"Do you need some help, doctor?" Escorpion asked.

"No," Kurian said. He grabbed the needle and stuck it in his arm. It was the fakest death I've ever seen.

"Kill him." La Reina ordered.

"Wait! Wait. Wait. Wait. I'm good. I'm good. I mean I'm. I'm fine." Kurian got off the ground. Shocker.

"Test him." She ordered. They brought out a box that was growling. Probably a zombie's head.

"What? What's in that box? No. No. I have my own test. I have... No. I have Please! I have my own test!" He screamed as he was bitten. Now that seemed genuine. Dramatic, but genuine.

"Okay, that's enough." La Reina ordered. "He should've turned by now."

"I can't believe it. It actually worked." Kurian said. He gave the shot to La Reina.

"I can see a world where humans dominate again. And it is all because of one person whose strength and courage and loyalty Lieutenant Warren. Because of you, El Murfi is brought to us. Because of you, there is hope. You gave us the future. And so you must be honored next." She said.

"I... I... I don't know what to say." She stuttered.

"Oh, you don't have to say anything." La Reina hugged Warren and it was uncomfortable for those watching.

"My queen. Um, if I may, you will allow me. Lieutenant Warren, you're right. I would never have gotten here without her. Would you please grant me the great honor of giving her the vaccine myself? And save her life as she has saved mine so many times." Murphy said standing in front of Warren.

"That is a beautiful idea. I love it!" She exclaimed. "Doctor." She laughed.

"Don't worry. The sting will go away in just a second." Murphy told Warren.

"Mi Reina, please. These people are outsiders. Gabachos. You cannot trust them. You cannot trust her." Escorpion said.

"Quiet, Hector. You be very careful with what you say next." La Reina said.

"I'm just trying to protect what I have- what we have built. She brought the assassin. She wants to do you harm, Reina. And I can prove it. Just give me more time with him." Escorpion said.

"Ay can't you see we've played by your rules since we got here," I said.

"Go. Go." She dismissed him.

"What the hell, guys?" Addy whispered.

"Are you feeling okay, Roberta? Is it working?" Doc asked.

"She didn't get injected, stupid," Murphy said.

"What? Why not?" I asked.

"That's exactly what I intend to find out. What is really going on here?" Warren spoke harshly when she turned to Murphy.

"Hey! Everybody!" La Reina caught our attention. "I feel strong! Do you feel strong? We must give this strength to the rest of the world. Hey, doctor. Murfi. You make more of this miracle vaccine, huh? We will not rest until everybody is safe!" She said. She sounded drunk or high. Or both.

"I got Murphy. You guys find Vasquez." We nodded and left.

We couldn't find him so we went to the room we all met for the first time.

"Karma, you know you've always had a family with us," Doc spoke first.

"It may not be much but we all look out for each other and love each other," Addy said.

"And you'll always have me" 10k joined.

"I know," I said.

"And Karma, you've always been enough" he added.

"Yeah. It's ok to be adopted. It's also ok to want answers. But at some point, you have to forgive yourself." Addy said.

"Them leaving you. It wasn't your fault. They had a choice. They chose wrong" 10k said he sat on the bed and brought me into his lap.

"Karma, you're such a badass. You turned out to be just fine kiddo" Doc said.

"And hey. Just because they gave you up then, doesn't mean you weren't wanted. Garnett loved you. He spent so much time talking about you at Camp Blue Sky." Addy said.

"He would tell stories about how you were so determined to keep going when you fell off your bike. Or how whenever you did good in school you'd run up to him and show him your grades." Doc said.

"Garnett was your father Karma. You don't need to be biologically connected to be a family." Addy said.

"Plus. I'm here to protect and comfort you" 10k said rubbing circles on my back. I hugged him tightly and he did the same.

Warren walked in and stood against the wall.

"Murphy?" Addy asked.

"Yeah. Murphy." Warren agreed.

"What did he do now?"Doc asked.

"Conspired with Kurian to make a fake vaccine that turns people into zombie blends that he controls," Warren explained. She took a seat on the chair in the room.

"Kinda like a zombie slave army?" 10k asked.

"Exactly like a zombie slave army," Warren said.

"Damn," Doc yelled.

"So zombie slave strippers weren't enough. That's the dark side of ambition." Addy said.

"So all those Zeros, he controls them?" 10k asked.

"Yep," Warren said.

"So no California?" He asked again.

"No. We're still going to California. All of us. Absolutely. Even if we got to take Murphy by force. Again." Warren said.

"What about the zombie slave army?" Doc asked.

"Yeah, well seems like there's an incubation period before he has total control. We got to get out of here before then." Warren said. I took a deep breath. 10k rubbed my back to calm me down.

"And then there's Vasquez," I said.

"Got to get him, too," Warren said.

"Are you sure about that, chief? He damn near got us killed." Doc said.

"He let emotion get the better of him. But he'd come for any of us." Warren defended.

"We can get him. My brains. 10K's guns. Karma's skills. Doc's..." She trailed off.

"Dumb luck? Good karma? Funky mojo?" Doc filled it in.

"We can get him," Addy said.

"Good. Let's do it." Warren said. A knock came from the door and it opened revealing a man in a white suit with a skull mask on. He had a cane with a skull attached as the handle.

"I think he wants you to go with him," Addy said as the man stared at Warren.

"You think? All right, you go. I'll meet you guys at the entrance of the tunnels in one hour." Warren said.