Old Encounters

I'm so bored. I've been sitting on top of this roof for five days now. I'm running low on food and water. I originally ran away from my "group" if you can even call them that.

I'm at a refinery with a hell of a lot of zombies. I turned the pump on so they'd be distracted. But I kind of regret it because now it's all I ever hear.

Suddenly a group of people arrive. Three girls and five guys. They split up and went their separate ways.

The pump went off. Shit. The zombies are going to make the gas explode. I climbed down from the building. Zombies started flowing from the pump.

I got out my knives to be more silent. I started stabbing and slicing the zombies left and right. This is the most I've fought at once. And that was 19. It's really hard to fight close combat with a sniper rifle strapped to your back.

They're slower because of the gas but that doesn't stop them. A rusty old definitely used car came down the alleyway and smashed into the pump.

"Is that Murphy?" Someone said behind me. Her voice sounded in suspense.

"Unfortunately yes," The red-headed woman said.

"Get out of here. Get out of here! Go! Come on!" Garnett? Said to the older darker woman.

"Wait a minute. What are you gonna do?" She asked.

"I got to save Murphy. Come on. Get out of here." He said back to her. I took the beautiful mocha woman out of his arms and helped her back to her group.

"Thank you karma, now go," He said to me. Yup. Definitely Garnett. We're all standing back when an explosion goes off. Welp. Too late for firearms. What's done is done. Everyone comes back to the trucks to regroup.

"So did we get the gas?" The scruffy guy asked while bent down resting his hands on his knees. "Great. Who screwed that up" He said. We all looked at him because it was his fault.  "Oh, sorry." He said sheepishly.

"So where's your friend?" The woman asked the tan-skinned girl.

"He didn't make it. And he wasn't my friend." She said back. She sounds like she wasn't too fond of that person. Suddenly a very conveniently placed payphone started ringing. It rang twice before Garnett answered.

"Hello," He asked confused like the rest of us. He waited a few before answering again, cause that's how a one-sided conversation goes.

"Sergeant Charlie Garnett."

"We've got more puppies and kittens" The woman yelled. I looked confused.

"Zombies" Another twenties looking guy said.

"I'm Mack, That's Addy, Warren, Garnett, Murphy, and doc." He said naming off everyone, each giving a signal when they heard their names.

"Alright well, you saved our ass so why don't you hang around for a bit," Warren said.  I nodded and hopped into the back of the truck.

"Hey here's the kid," Doc said. Someone around my age came into view, He's a cute boy with black hair and blue eyes. I won't lie I think he's cute.

"I found these," he said holding up two cans of gas. He handed them off and hopped in the back with me and Cassandra. The truck started and we were off.

"So what's your name," He asked me. I said nothing, my mission is to meet Lieutenant Hammond. And that's what I plan to do. I'm not here to make friends.

"Ok. Well. I'm 10k," he said.

"Excuse me, ma'am. You uh, you have a finger in your hair." He said. She just looked at him and didn't believe him. I nodded my head and she looked down. She saw it and picked it out throwing the finger over the side. To refrain from laughing I started cleaning off my weapons. In all, I have a total of 10 knives, 1 Sniper, 2 pistols, a hidden assassin blade on each of my wrists, 9 daggers on my back, 2 in my boots and the rest hidden. I think I'm covered. Quite literally.

"Doc see if you can get any information off her" I heard someone whisper.  "Hey kid, where are you from," Doc asked.

"UK," I said keeping my answers short. These feel like good people but you can never be too sure.

"Why are you all the way down here?" He asked. I noticed most everyone was listening.

"I'm meeting someone," I said.

"We've known a lot of people who ya looking for," Warren asked me.

"I'm not sure if you'd know him, He goes by the name Hammond. Lieutenant Mark Hammond. He's a part of Delta x-ray Delta, I was recruited down to help out." I said. As I finished the air was tense, I could tell they knew something. I looked around.

"What," I asked.

"I'm so sorry. He died yesterday." Garnett said.

"How" was all I said.

"Turned" Addy replied. I chuckled.

"A hell of a way to go," I said. I opened my pocket and pulled out my phone. I have it in one of those charging cases that runs on batteries. I sent a text to Delta x-ray Delta in hopes someone is still alive. I also sent one out to every Operation Bite-Mark contact I had.

"What's your name, kid. You know all of us." Doc said.

"Karma," I said.

"Why does everyone name themselves" he muttered.

"Why are we going this way? Philly's a dead zone." Cassandra asked. She seemed tense. Maybe her past brings bad memories. I know mine does.

Flashback

Cold, wet, and blood was everywhere. My blood. "Still not wanting to talk?" A guard asked. I wasn't giving any information away. If they wanted it they would have to kill me and ask the grim reaper for his phone number.

"No sir, She's young and loyal." One said.

"Alright, use the cleaver." He said and walked out of the room. My arms are tied up and my legs are chained down. He took the knife and placed it in the fire letting it heat up. When he took it out it was red hot, slicing slowly through the skin on my stomach sealing the wound whilst it burned my flesh.

End of flashback.