Don't Like Office Jobs

"It looks like a hotel," Warren said as we approached a tall building out of the dust storm. 

"I thought we killed all these Zs last week," Murphy said. 

"Maybe the Grand Canyon filled up," Addy said. 

"Not funny." 

"I wasn't kidding." 

"Heads up. Let's check it out." Warren said bringing the two back to reality.

"Anybody in there?!" Doc yelled banging on the dusty glass door. 

"Do you think it's deserted?" I asked joining Warren's side. 

"Give me that." Warren gestured to Doc's crowbar.

"Anytime now, Murphy!" Addy yelled about the three zombies in front of her.

"All right! All right, I'll give it a shot." Murphy turned the zombies away and they walked back into the dust.

"Why don't we just break the glass?" Doc asked. 

"No, cuz then the Zs will be able to get in," Warren said.

"I can't pick it, somethings blocking it" I whispered from under Warren.

"There's somebody in there," Doc mentioned to the person standing on the other side of the door.  

"Open up or you will be sorry!" Warren yelled.

"Thank you," I said getting off my knees. I looked up to the railing and multiple guns were cocked. 

"Welcome." The leader said.

"Lower your weapons!" Vasquez yelled holding his pistol up to them. Warren grabbed the guy who let us in and I grabbed my two handguns. 

"Turn around and go back the way you came." The leader said. 

"Look! We don't want to hurt you." Warren gestured to the man to move away from her gun, "But we cannot turn around. There are way too many Zs out there." She said. 

"Not much oxygen either," Doc added. A zombie knocked its body into the door. Their group turned their weapons to the door.

"Who's in charge?" Warren asked. 

"My name is Gideon Gould. I'm the facilitator here. But we don't really have a leader. Cuz everyone here participates in our decision making." He explained. 

"Great. We just need some shelter until the smoke clears and some of those zombies move on." Warren said. 

"Okay. Well, I think in order for us to put together a mutually beneficial agreement, we're gonna have to create a little framework of trust here." Gideon said. 

"Buddy, I'd have a lot more trust if you all pointed your weapons someplace else," Murphy said. 

"Sure. It's okay, everybody." He turned to his group. 

"What you got in mind, Mr. Gould?" Warren asked. 

"Popcorn circle process?" A woman piped up from the balcony. Our group's guns never waivered. 

"You know what? That's exactly what I had in mind. That's a great idea. Yes, ma'am. Come on down here." Gideon said excitedly. 

"What the hell is it? Movie night?" Murphy joked. 

"May I?" She asked. 

"Yes, ma'am," Gideon said handing her a wooden pole. 

"Thank you. Don't worry. It's not a weapon. It's a tool. We call it the talking stick." She said