Princess - Tom "Iceman" Kazansky

Set: bar scene 1986

Word count: 1613

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

The bar is pretty quiet as I sit at the counter, sipping on my drink. There are some people playing pool, others playing darts. The people here are mostly Top Gun graduates, who have nothing else to do.

I was called to Top Gun for ferry flying. Some of the f-18s have to be taken to a nearby base. But I decided to come to the Hard Deck for a few drinks before heading to the base tomorrow morning.

You can still hear a couple of jets flying by, heading back to base. I smile, remembering what it was like to fly with my wingman, Willy.

They called him that because he spoke with an english accent. And almost all call signs have a perverted background.

I smile to myself and don't realize four men entering the bar, wearing beige uniforms. The barman nods towards them when I look at him.

I look back and see them laughing and talking to a couple of others around them. There is one of them, blonde, who looks like he's the boss around the others.

He takes his sunglasses off and I immediately recognize Iceman. Lieutenant Kazansky. The man, the legend.

I smile to myself and right in that moment, he looks over and sees me. Iceman whistles loudly, making the other men look over.

He steps towards me, not seeing the Top Gung badge on my chest and leans onto the counter, smirking.

"What do we have here?" he says cockily, chewing on some gum, "Are you all alone tonight, princess?"

I smile, letting him play his game: "Can't a girl have a drink?"

The guys next to him chuckle.

"You a pilot in training?" Iceman asks, nodding toward my badge.

I turn over to let him see all my badges: "Top Gun graduate actually, Iceman." I smirk and the boys around him pat his shoulder.

"What's your call sign?" he asks, changing the topic to stay dominant.

I sigh, getting up from my seat and taking my drink with me as I walk towards a dartboard. The boys watch as I grab a dart and hit the bullseye while looking at them.

"Let's play a game. Each time you hit bullseye, you get to ask me a question," I throw another one, this time missing on purpose, "If you fail to do so, you take a shot."

I look Iceman in the eyes. He smirks at me and starts walking towards me: "That's a little unfair, don't you think? Four against one?"

I grab a few darts and hand them to Iceman: "I'm willing to take the risk."

"Bartender! Can we get a few shots each?" I ask the guy, who gives me a thumbs up.

"And make 'em strong!" Iceman shouts after him. He looks back down at me and smirks.

His eyes wander to my dog tags, trying to see what my call sign is.

"A cheater takes two shots." I say quietly, tucking the chain away.

"All right, princess," Iceman shoots a dart and hits the bullseye, "what's your call sign?"

Some of the boys snicker and I smile: "Barracuda."

Grabbing another dart and hitting bullseye, I look at the other boys.

"What are your call signs?" I ask, taking a sip of my drink.

"Slider."

"Cougar."

"Merlin."

Each of them gives me a look while answering, making me smile.