Don't bet on it - Jake "Hangman" Seresin

Set: walking/ classroom scene

Word count: 1185

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

"Attention on deck!"

Everyone gets up from their seat, standing up straight with their hands behind their back.

A man steps up to the lecturer and places a book on it.

"Morning. Welcome to your special training detachment. Be seated."

We sit back down and I look up at the man, listening to his words.

"I'm Admiral Bates, NAWDC commander. You're all top gun graduates. The elite."

Hangman next to me smirks proudly and I smile.

"The best of the best," Bates says, "That was yesterday."

Our smiles drop.

"The enemy's new fifth-generation fighter has leveled the playing field. Details are few, but you can be sure we no longer possess the technological advantage. Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man or woman in the box. Half of you will make the cut. One of you will be named mission leader," Hangman smirks at me and I roll my eyes, "The other half will remain in reserve."

Admiral Bates steps forward, crossing his arms: "Your instructor is a top gun graduate with real-world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to master. His exploits are legendary. And he's considered to be one of the finest pilots this program has ever produced. What he has to teach you may very well mean the difference between life and death. I give you, Captain Pete Mitchell."

He lets out a small smile: "Call sign: 'Maverick'."

Bates steps away and we all look back to see the man from the bar yesterday. Hangman's face turns into a shit-what-did-I-do expression and I grin at him.

He gives me a shut-up look and looks back at Maverick. He loves me. He knows that.

"Good morning," he says, picking up a big book and shows it to us, "The f-18 natops. It contains everything they want you to know about your aircraft."

I frown, hoping that this isn't going to be an awkward moment for any of us.

"I'm assuming you know the book inside and out." he says.

"Damn right." Payback says.

"Damn straight." Fanboy answers.

"You got it." A couple of others say.

Maverick nods, looks around and then suddenly tosses the natops into the trash next to him.

I frown, looking at Admiral Bates, who simply watches Maverick do his thing and decide to trust him.

"So does your enemy," Maverick says, "But what the enemy doesn't know is your limits."

Hangman smiles, liking where this is going.

"I intend to find them, test them, push beyond. Today we'll start with what you only think you know. You show me what you're made of."

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

After some serious dogfighting and about 600 push-ups, Hangman and I return to the building.

"Maverick is one hell of a good pilot," I say, pushing my sunglasses back to their upright position.

"Yeah, but he's old. One of these days I'll beat him. Easily." Hangman grins.

"Oh really?" I ask, slightly pushing him to the side, "What about the fact that I beat you last time?"

He frowns: "No, you didn't," he smirks down at me, "We weren't even playing."

I grin up at him as we step into the building, heading down the extremely long hallway.

"You always have to be the best, don't you?" I laugh.

"I am the best," Hangman smiles down at me, "And I only surround myself with the best." He looks deep into my eyes, waiting for my response.

I ignore the fact that he's intensely flirting with me and go on.

"So if you ever wanted to marry someone, and no one could fit your expectations, would that mean you'll grow old and die alone?" I ask.

Hangman frowns down at me: "No. Of course not."

"And why's that?" I say, already regretting the fact that I asked.

Hangman stops walking and smiles down at me.

"Do you really doubt that I'll find a wife?" he laughs, but I feel him getting a bit annoyed.

"Maybe," I smirk, "but nothing's impossible, right?" I smile up at Hangman. He starts walking again and I speed up to keep up with his long steps.

"What about you? Gettin' a husband any time soon?" he asks me.

I grin as we step into the classroom, putting our bags down next to our seats. I look up at the clock on the wall and realize we still have some time before Captain Mitchell gets here.

"I'm not focusing on that right now, but if someone ever came accross my path..." I cross my arms and look down at Hangman, who's already sitting on his chair.

He's smirking up at me and pats the leather cushion of my seat, asking me to sit down. I do so and look at him.

"And what if you already met that person?" he asks quietly, his gaze darting from my eyes to my lips.

I look deep into his eyes, realizing what he's asking.

"Then, I would probably- would I already know this person well?" I ask, trying to make sure what he's saying.

He smiles calmly, letting me get there: "You know this person pretty well. You've been going out for drinks with him and friends for years already."

I smile to myself: "Does this person really like me?"

Hangman nods: "This person adores you. Adores your hair, your way of speaking. How you're as competitive as himself, how you're tough and strong, how you don't give up, ever. How he's never seen prettier eyes in this world. And how much he really wants to kiss you."

I stay silent, looking into his eyes and to his lips.

"Kiss me, Jake." I whisper.

He pulls me in by the cheek and kisses me deeply, closing his eyes.

I hold onto his neck as his hands slide down to my waist.

The kiss gets more intense by the second, so I slow him down, pecking his lips and pulling back to look up into his eyes.

He's smiling. And I can't help but do the same. I stroke his cheek with my thumb, letting him know that I'm happy this happened.

"Jake, I-"

"I hope I'm not disturbing anything."

The two of us look over to see Maverick standing by the lecturer. We pull back and sit straight in our seats.

"No, sorry, sir," I say, hoping that we won't get kicked out for this.

"Don't worry. I won't tell the admirals." he gives us a friendly wink and I sigh in relief.

I look back over at Jake and he grabs my hand, bringing it up to his lips to kiss it.

I smile and we keep holding each other's hands throughout the time where Maverick talks to all of us.

"Friday at seven, be ready to go to the Hard Deck. And this time you can dress up." Jake whispers towards me without looking at me.

I blush, squeezing his hand once to tell him yes.

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

heyyy everyonee

this one is soo cuuuuteeee

i love it

don't forget to vote!

x

Brooke