Broken world - Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw

Set: own home

Word count: 685

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

The drizzle just stopped and sunlight is now breaking through the car's windows as I drive home from the local market, bringing home groceries.

Just as I pass the Hard Deck, where I met Rooster for the first time during a mission call, four f-18s pass by, heading back to base.

I smile, happy about the career I chose. Rooster and I both have separate jobs, and we were lucky enough to find them here, on north island.

After a while, our garage is finally in sight and I park in our driveway, grabbing the grocery bags and locking the car, heading up into the house.

I step in, setting the grocery bags down in the kitchen before taking off my jacket and looking for Rooster.

"Bradley?"

I walk into our living room, finding him sitting on the floor, crying into his hands. I rush over to him, kneeling next to him and grabbing his hands, holding his cheeks up to look up at me.

His eyes are red and face is wet from his tears. I try to hold back my own tears and ask, voice breaking:

"What happened?"

He sighs, his breath shaking as he looks at me, trying to talk normally: "It's Maverick. He's in the hospital."

I gasp quietly, looking into Rooster's eyes. Maverick, now more than ever, means everything to him.

"There was a bird strike, the engine blew up, he managed to eject but the parashute was damaged and he couldn't land properly-"

His voice breaks again and I pull him into my arms and he accepts the hug, holding me tight.

"What did the doctors say?" I ask him quietly, not letting him go.

He takes a few deep breaths before answering: "They're not sure yet. They're taking care of him, of course, and Penny's there, but-"

"Shh, hey," I pull back and he keeps his hands on my back as I look into his eyes, "there's nothing we can do but wait and hope for the best, babe."

He hesitates before nodding and pressing his forehead against mine.

"He's just- he's all I have left of him." he sighs, releasing what was holding him back.

A tear falls down his cheek and I wipe it away, replacing it with a kiss.

"I know, honey. He means a lot to everyone who was there when he saved us. And he will always be with us, just like your dad is within you," I say, offering Rooster a small smile.

Rooster sniffles and smiles sadly.

"Right now it seems like a broken world, but I want you to know I'm right here if you need me," Rooster looks back into my eyes as I say that, putting his hands on my cheeks.

He calmly looks into my eyes, pecking my lips, slowly, before pulling me in for a longer, more passionate, kiss.

My arms are around his neck as he pulls me onto his lap to straddle him, not breaking the kiss.

I pull back and look into his eyes, smiling at him.

He examines every inch of my face, until finally looking back into my eyes and whispering: "Thank you."

He gives me a small smile and I pull him into a hug again.

"Can we visit him?" I ask.

"Yeah, there's a window tomorrow afternoon we can go at."

"Good," I pull back and stand up, offering my hand to Rooster to help him up, "Then we'll go and see how he's doing. Together."

Rooster stands up and now is much taller than me and looks down at me.

He nods: "Okay."

"C'mon," I grab his hand, pulling him to our balcony and laying my head onto his lap as he sits on the sofa.

He leans down and kisses my lips again, caressing my cheek with his thumb.

"I love you so much." he whispers, kissing me again.

I smile up at him: "I love you too."

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

heyyy everyonee

this one is pretty short but I love it

hope you're all well!

x

Brooke