Battle Scars, Texas and Um? Art?

The worst sight greeted Sage as she walked into her art class with Inyia. The large desks, which normally sat two, had been pushed together to form three larger tables.

Meaning one thing: group projects.

Inyia groaned, "Why does she insist on making us suffer".

"Your suffering is not my intention" came Mrs Malkins voice after overhearing the girls as they walked in. "Everybody please take a seat so we can begin".

Sage made a beeline to the table closest to the window, Inyia hot on her heels, taking the free seat to her left.

The seat to her right, however was taken by the last person she wanted siting there.  Jasper Hale.

Granted there was only twelve people in the class, but that was still ten other people the vampire could have chosen to bother.

Emmett Cullen took the last free seat opposite Sage, next to Iniya, completing their table of four.

Sage had to physically restrain herself from rolling her eyes. Just because her and Rosalie got on in English did not mean all the Vampires had free passes to interact with her now. Sage had liked it just fine when they'd all ignored each other.

The instructions to the new project were up on the board as the teacher explained how they'd be working in groups to create a display that would be worth 25% of their final grade.

The first thing they had to do was pick an artist.

"How about Basquiat?" Said Sage as she dug her pens and paints out her bag.

Inyia leaned over to Sage and dripped her voice, to a level she assumed the Cullen's wouldn't be able to hear, and whispered "I don't think the artist who's work depicts what it's like to be black or a person of colour through abstract means is the way to go for the two white men".

Sage (thankfully) kept her face neutral.

Iniya had no idea that the Vampires sat with them heard every word she'd just said, but something told Sage that Iniya would say it to their faces if it came down to it .

It was what made her such a good friend in Sage's book. Iniya was as honest as a fairy.

"Okay, what about Van Gogh?" Suggested Sage after the two vampires said nothing to her first suggestion.

Mental health was universal; depression didn't discriminate.

"That sounds good" agreed Emmett with a small smile. Inyia glanced at him curiously.

The Cullen's didn't speak much to anyone outside their family. Emmett seemed to realize this and hastily introduced himself with " I'm Emmett".

Iniya remained unimpressed, briefly looked him up and down before she simply replied "I know".

"Well" interrupted Sage before the table could get anymore awkward. "There's a lot to do so we should start planning it".

"How about we divide the work equally. That way by the end of the lesson we'll have a plan that we should be able to execute perfectly" imputed Jasper, his voice soft but smooth - as all vampire voices were.

Iniya nodded. "Okay me and .. uh.. Emmett shall look up some examples of Van Gogh's art, and come up with ideas on how we can recreate it; and you and  Sage can look up Van Gogh's life and struggle with mental health. Since I've heard how much you like your... history".

Sage had to cough to hide her laughter. Iniya definitely knew what she was doing.

The group split into their respective pares and Sage got to work, pulling out her laptop to help with the research.