Espionage

The rest of the school day passed without incident (or newer opportunities for gossip) and Sage soon found herself standing, feet firmly planted, in Leah's kitchen. Cupcakes on the itinerary.

Leah was standing next to her, focused wholly on the recipe book, her long hair pulled neatly into one three strand braid that swayed softly with every small tilt of her head.

The thrum of Sage's magic beat softly within her, crawling up her spine and curling softly around her heart in the way it always did when Leah was near.

It was rather distracting, but Sage was working very hard to make sure she didn't appear to be as distracted as she was.

The excuse made to Mother Clearwater (for the use of the kitchen) was a bake sale raising funds for charity; However, from Leah's perspective, it was all a covert operation and the start of the two of them uncovering her parents many secrets.

"My Dad has a locked cabinet in his study" stated Leah suddenly, just as Sage began to weigh out the sugar and butter.

The conversation up until that point had been rather standard.  A basic, but enjoyable, chat about school, homework and the latest gossip (obviously).

Leah hadn't appreciated the magnitude of the Edward and Isabella gossip, but Sage could hardly blame her for it. Leah only knew of the Cullens through the general dislike that clung to them down on the Res, and she could only remember Isabella as a snotty seven year old that used to run around with Jake.

Sage on the other hand was quite taken with the rumour going around Leah's school that Jake's two best friends Embry and Quill were in a secret relationship. She of course had no idea of what the rumour was based on, but based solely on the one time they hung out at the beach, Sage had decided that they would make each other rather happy.

"There is no other locked cupboards or cabinets in our whole house" continued Leah, bitting at her thumb as she did so. "It never bothered me before because it always felt like my family had no secrets but now..."

She trailed of but Sage could extrapolate. This whole Sam situation had put Leah in a tailspin. And rightly so. It wasn't everyday that your parents hid the existence of the Supernatural world from you.

"I'm guessing you want to break into it?" Asked Sage casually as she began to mix the sugar and the butter. She wasn't phased with the idea of some light snooping, after all, a locked cabinet wasn't much of a match for a Fairy.

"I already stole the key" admitted Leah with a sheepish smile.

Sage had never seen that expression on her face before. Leah was normally so surefire, so bold.

It was endearing.

The slightly awkward tilt to Leah's smile made her face seem rounder, younger, softer. It showed a vulnerability that had Sage's magic swirling in her stomach and momentarily stealing her breath away.

"Then what are we doing mixing sugar!?" Exclaimed Sage in a mock whisper. "Why didn't you mention this before!".

"Because I've never done this before!" answered Leah with a frown. She crossed her arms tightly in front of herself, pushing away from the kitchen counter top. "Swiping the key off my dad's keychain was one thing! But actually going in his study and stealing before he gets home is another!"

Sage smiled. Endearing didn't capture it; this Leah was entirely too adorable, too delightful... too captivating.

It would be easy to break into the cabinet, Sue was still out working at the Hospital, Seth was in the front room engrossed in the TV and Harry wouldn't be back for another hour.