The Car Goes Skirrrrrt

The week rolled on into Wednesday and winter seemed to arrive with a bang.

Things were normal. Normal in the sense that Leah had texted Sage yesterday and the evening was then lost to a conversation about school work and how demoralizing it was-They'd even found out they were both studying Jackal and Hyde in English.

It was normal in the way the Hallow's continued to tease the Cullen's, and the Cullen's pretended it didn't bother them half as much as it did.

It was normal in how-

"Fuck!" Dahlia cursed loudly as she tripped on an icy tree root and tumbled to the ground. The day was bleak, and though the Fairy's didn't feel the cold as much, ice was still an occupational hazard that came with walking half asleep.

Trekking through the forest at daybreak was not the most ideal way to spend time before the school day. Infact, why was she out here again?

"Are you alright?" Asked Ceres, bending down to help Dahlia off the ground while Sage did nothing but laugh.

Oh yeah, her mother made her.

A package from the Fae realm had come through last night from their father, Vidarr Hallow. It consisted of a few letters, some clothes and the coveted list of items that they would have to gather and then brew into the potion needed for the Second trial. They hadn't even done the first one yet but alas here they were.

Each fairy family had they're own spin on the potion, so the recipe was guarded and tweaked with care generation to generation.

Sage couldn't help but be excited, even if she had to sacrifice her second favorite part of the day- sleeping.

The first steps to getting their wings had officially begun.

"Wow, thanks for the help" deadpanned Dahlia with a roll of her eyes.

Sage shrugged, unbothered. "It's my God given right to laugh at you when you make an ass of yourself... Don't be coy 'Lia it totally goes both way's".

Dahlia conceded and they were off again.

"Come on girls, I know this can be difficult" started Ceres, meters ahead, "But if you apply yourself, the trials will be like stealing a sand dollar from a sleeping selkie".

Sage had never personally met a selkie, but she knew they had vicious canine's, so she wasn't convinced by her mother's motivations.

"Come along girls!" Called Ceres again, her voice far too jolly for the time of day. "We're nearing the stream, which is perfect because we'll collect the Water Hemlock we need for the potion".

Yes, Water Hemlock was poisonous, and yes, this was a potion she would be ingesting.

Sage resigned herself to not think on it too much, and instead thought of the wings she was doing it all for.

*

School slipped by surprisingly pleasantly. Or as pleasantly as it can when you've been up since before dawn on a frigid icy day.

Lunch had (of course) been a highlight of the day, especially now the school was a buzz since the Prom theme and date had finally been released.

Imogen had somehow become head of the committee -Sage was quietly convinced her shyest of friends could and would run the country if she wanted to- and had decided the theme would be "An Enchanted Fantasy Forest" based around the school doing Midsummer nights dream for the final senior shows.