𝗂 𝖼𝗈𝗇𝖿𝖾𝗌𝗌..

This takes place in season 4.

___
Lenora, California 2:03pm

The four boys had been driving for about three or four hours.

Argyle and Johnathan were high on the infamous 'purple palm tree delight'.

Will and Mike weren't sure if it was safe for those goofballs to be driving, but at this point, who cares?

"Hey Mike," Will began.

Mike looked up at Will who seemed oddly nervous. Why did he seem nervous?

"Can I show you something?"

Mike nodded.

Will handed Mike a rolled up, large, thick brown paper, tied with brown thread.

Mike pulled one of the loose ends of the thread, the neatly tied bow falling apart.

He unraveled the paper, soon revealing a painting.

Mike's face lit up immediately, a big grin appearing on his pale, freckled face.

"It's us on the swings when we first met.." Will said, leaning in and pointing on the painting, his arm brushing Mike's.

Mike took his eyes off the painting for a second, staring at his arm as it touched Will's briefly.

"Will, this is amazing! Did you paint this?"

"Yeah!" Will smiled, his face lighting up as well.

"W-well— El asked me to, she basically commissioned it.." Will said nonchalantly as his smiled faded.

Mike's smile dulled. He thought Will made it for him on his own.

Mike stared at Will for a second before looking back at the painting, examining it further.

He then noticed something in the painting.

In between the two young boys they once were, was a heart. A small heart painted in between them.

It matched the background almost perfectly, you'd have to pay super close attention to even notice.

Mike wanted to ask Will about it, he looked over to Will, who's head rested on his hand.

Mike saw his reflection on the window.

He was crying.

Why was he crying?

Was it something he said?

Or did?

Mike needed to stay calm, surely Will would explain everything soon, right?

Mike scooted closer to Will, setting the painting down gently on the opposite end.

He wrapped his arms around Will, as if it were a shield, like he was protecting him.

Will was startled and wiped his tears away.