VII

Wrapped up in strong arms, you groaned when your alarm started beeping, waking you from your peaceful dreams. Another groan followed after you, the arms holding you tighter to the warm body you half laid upon. Pushing yourself off of the person, you turned to turn off the alarm, rubbing your eyes in the process before huffing and positioning yourself back in the arms of your former lover. Or.. your current lover? You weren't sure and right now, you didn't dare to ask. One arm was wrapped around you, his fingers trailing up and down over your own bare arm as you rest your head on Law's chest. Your lips pecked his pectoral slowly, savouring the touch and attention before you had to leave to start breakfast and pack lunch for Shiro. "I thought you'd leave." Law murmered, his nose nuzzling your hair as his fingers stilled.

"I still have to though. Shiro has school and I have work. Just like you." Your own hold on him tightened in return, brows furrowing.

Law's voice was lost as his grey eyes slowly opened and looked up at the ceiling. "Do you regret it?" The words flew into the air softly, almost as if they weren't supposed to be spoken aloud. Lean fingers stilled in movements, time ticking by as his breathing let small strands of hair flutter to and fro. Eventually a sigh left your lips before you rested your chin on his chest, looking at the male's face. Lips pulled to one side, you let your mind form and reform sentences to express your feelings in such a way that wouldn't hurt him.

"I don't regret it per se, I just... The timing is a bit off. You just broke up with your girlfriend and returned to your ex. It feels like I'm a rebound, even when you tell me you never lost the feelings in the first place." Soft footsteps thudded on the outside of your room, signalling you that your son had woken up as well and your bubble with Law was pierced through, getting the talk to come to a halt. Your shoulders slumped as you pushed yourself off of his chest, slowly clothing yourself accordingly. "Can we.." You started, looking back at the man with a tired face. "Talk about it for real next time?" His grey eyes stopped trailing over you and rested on your face, a short nod following. "I'll set some extra breakfast to the side for you. Shiro doesn't know about this and I prefer to keep it this for a bit longer." Law sighed and fell back on the pillow, the demanding tone of your voice enough to keep him grounded for now. After putting on your clothes for the day, you strolled over to the bed, leaning on a knee and your hands to look down at the male. "So grumpy still." Law scoffed but it was quickly stifled as you kissed him shyly. "Get some extra sleep. I know you need it." His large hand shot forward to stop you from moving away, connecting your lips with his once more in a less innocent kiss, your cheeks reddening as you parted your lips for him to enter briefly before forcing yourself away from him, covering your lips with your hand. "If I don't go, I'll never leave. I'll text you when it's safe to leave. Please lock the door."

The rest of the week you hadn't heard from Law anymore, the fear of being a simple rebound returning stronger than ever before. A loud sigh left your lips as you leaned on your elbow on the bureau, the screen illuminating your face brightly. Luffy had stopped taking your time after seeing how down you looked and some female coworkers had been snickering over new rumours a few cubicles ahead. Suddenly, a cup of steaming coffee was held in front of you, the hand accompanying the paper cup slightly scarred. Taking the warm cup in your hands, fingers curling around to connect as much skin on the warm surface, you smiled softly, looking up at the male. "Thank you, Benn." His brow rose before he grinned down at you, grabbing a chair to sit down next to you.

"How's things going for you, (y/n)?" His question was simple enough, could lead to anywhere, but your mind wandered back to the beginning of the week, another sigh flowing from your tired being. "Hmm that bad?" Throwing a look at the male, you knew he wouldn't care if you were ranting at him, but you would feel bad about it afterwards. So you settled upon a simple, dismissive answer to quell his interest a bit. After a bit of a silence, the both of you mostly thinking to yourself, he rubbed your shoulder. "Tonight some of the coworkers want to grab a drink because of the successful deadline. Come with us."