XII

"Do I really have to go?" Law asked over the book, his brow cocked as his eyes followed you around busying in the room. The question came out of no where and you had to take a second to recollect what he was talking about. A smirk appeared on his lips as he realised you were still trying to figure out what he was possibly talking about. "The wedding." His eyes went back to his book. "You know, of those friends of yours."

Humming, you thought about it for a little bit. "Are you busy that day?" Walking around the couch, you sat down on the cushion near his thigh. "Because I would appreciate you coming along." Law lowered the book, his eyes locking with yours as he sighed softly. "I don't want to force you as I know you barely know anyone at the party." His tattooed fingers caressed your cheek as he regarded you a little more. You knew he didn't like these kinds of social gatherings, yet you weren't feeling it to go on your own, wanting at least one person to ground you. "It's in a few weeks, I don't need a definitive answer. Think about it at least?" Law's brows furrowed, like he was dissecting your words one by one until he could find the truth hidden underneath.

Whether he found what he wanted, you weren't sure, but Law nodded slowly, his grey eyes dropping to your lips shortly before his hands cupped the back of your head and pulled you in. "I'll think about it." His lips ghosted over yours as he spoke, the air brushing over your lower face.

"Thank you." You whispered, eyes closing as your lips touched his a short, yet sweet kiss. At your answer, the man smirked once more, chuckling lowly before he grabbed your waist and pulled you even closer.

*~*~*~

Your fingers curled around the stem of the wineglass, lips curled into a gentle smile towards the older woman talking with you. Her words ranged from derogatory to nice about the whole venue your friend had rent for her special day. Lifting the glass to your lips, you let your eyes wander over the crowd, ignoring the woman going on and on about the small amount of good looking men around to ogle at. A few hours had passed since your arrival and having had the opportunity to say a couple words to the bride and groom. They looked great, the redhaired woman giggling all the while she clung to her husband, Sabo. Sabo acted like a total gentleman during their first dance, twirling her around before catching Koala in his arms again, his smile never leaving his face, a twinkle in his eyes.

"... could be less of a brute as well." The woman's voice cut through your musings, her shrill spoken words sounding like nails being dragged down over chalkboard. Goosebumps arose all over your arms, hairs standing tall at the back of your head and the perfectly acted smile slipped shortly to a frown. "And his name! Who would call their child Hack of all names imagined?" The woman grumbled even more, your eyes rolling at her comment. "Excuse you?! I saw that!"

Yep, your act was up, so you sighed at her, giving her a sliver of your attention as you set down your glass on the table next to you, giving her another perfect smile before you let your tongue speak the truth. "Look lady, I don't give a shit about your opinions at this and that. You've been invited to celebrate Koala's and Sabo's special day, yet it seems like you want to make it all about you. If I didn't know better, you're a single mom with a taste for good for nothing men who would stick their dick into you when drunk and leave you behind after a couple minutes of fun between the sheets. Don't you dare to think you are better than the newlyweds who take their time to sync and grow while you stay stuck at the bottom." The alcohol had loosened your tongue, every deterrent for your opinions gone like the wind. The woman looked appalled, her lips puckered as her eyes glared at you.

If you'd hear yourself saying this when less abbreviated, you'd feel embarrassed and excuse your crass behaviour so many times, begging for forgiveness and trying to please the other party, but now? Now was not that day. You already disliked the lady for loudly bragging about her love-life before degrading everything happening here, comparing it to those venues she frequented due to rich friends. The woman's face reddened, the words finally registering through her own alcohol affected mind. "How dare you?!"