Chapter Six

~ Dream/ Flashback ~

I was 15 years old at the time, and I was currently manning the control boards in the Maze A room, watching the few boys that had originally been sent up into the Maze. It was a new project we'd just started, I helped come up with the idea to have two, as a matter of fact. One for boys, one for girls. It made sense really, two different kinds of people, two different kinds of tests. Naturally, the tests were very different, in fact, it was vital to the survival of the female race that they have information about the past, in order to survive. With the boys it was different, they functioned better under the stress of ignorance. They needed to work towards the information, whereas girls were better off with the initial information in hand, so as to better develop effective antidotes to viruses that plagued the people who threatened their livelihood. It was simple really, develop a cure, or eventually we'll send in so many plagued people that they won't be able to defend themselves, and they'll be killed. It sounded brutal, yes, but it was necessary. That was always what Mum said.

I was monitoring a few of the initial "Gladers" as they called themselves, from Maze A. Mostly the usual, panic, terror, curiosity. Today, however, we were sending up another. And he was different. Why, well, because he was like me. He was plucked up as a baby, an orphan as a result of the Flare, but equally immune. Bright, intellectually speaking, and strong. He had worked side-by-side with the developers of the Maze, and in the planning out and coordination of how the whole system was going to work. I had only spoken to him once, when I was 12 and we were asked to sit in a room together and plan out different possibilities for the proper system of efficiently getting people into the Maze without rebellion. Obviously, we came to an agreement on a memory wiping serum, which was then developed by the Maze B, obviously since they had all of their memories in tact and were bright enough to develop the serum. After it had been developed, we were then able to begin Maze A, which was, of course, the boys' Maze. I still remember what he had said to me when we were brainstorming, it was the first time I realized that I was in love with him.

"Alright Greenie, what do you think we should start with then?"

"Did you just call me Greenie?"

"I did."

"Why? What's a Greenie?"

"Nothing, really. I just made it up. It seemed to match your eyes, and I don't know your name. So I figured Greenie would be adequate until I had the honor of making your acquaintance." He said cheekily. I had blushed.

"Well, my name's Lillian." He had smiled, nodding as he thought over the name.

"Lillian. I like it, mind if I shorten it? Lilli, I think it fits you better." I nodded.

"I love it."

"Well then, so do I."

He had gone on to pass along the nickname to the elder Creators, planting it in their minds, along with the memory erasing serum we had developed together, as a small token of his good-naturedness towards me. I would sometimes even daydream of him, and how maybe, just maybe, it meant more than just a friendly gesture. Maybe he was using it as a trigger. Something to spark our memories, should we ever be placed in the God forsaken places. And then, there I was, a 15 year old girl, watching as they injected the serum into his neck, watching as he slowly by slowly began to loose his memories. I had to watch it all, and I had no idea why. He wasn't wreathing in pain or protest like the others had, he was completely calm and collected, like he knew it was coming. Well, of course he knew it was coming, he had volunteered hadn't he? It was quite obvious the boys needed order, and he was going to be their order. Their law, their protection. But as selfish of shallow as it may have seemed, I didn't want him to go up there, even it meant saving their lives. I wanted him to stay, to be with me. I wanted to have one last conversation with him, to at least tell him goodbye. Almost as though he had read my mind, he turned towards me. My Gally.