Chapter Ten

Minho's POV:

I watched her dart back over towards the giant ass door thing at the end of this shuck walk way, patting Thomas' back as I did so. I knew she knew more about this whole thing than she ever let on, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that other girl who had showed up yesterday was the same way. Sure, I hadn't actually met the newest girl yet, but Newt had told me about how they remembered each other, we'd discussed it at the council meeting. I never told anyone about what I thought, I didn't think it mattered much. My belief is the same, across the shuck board. The people were before the Maze are dead. They don't matter, and we have to forget them. The fact that Lily knew almost instantaneously where to attack that Griever, it was like she new how they were constructed. I wasn't accusing her of something that morbid and awful, but she was most definitely different from anyone else here in the Maze. I sighed, patting Thomas on the back as we waited for Lily to put in the third and final code to open the doorway, a code that I was almost positive she knew. She got the first two after all, didn't she?

"Why do ya' think she knows all the password, Minho?" Thomas asked. It sounded so innocent, almost child like. I simply shrugged.

"Because she's obviously smarter, shuck-face. Duh, that's why I sent her to crack the codes." I said it as though it were blatantly obvious, not wanting to cause doubt or commotion. Thee truth was, I hated lying to Thomas, but he would just blab to Newt, who would have no other choice to tell Alby. And once something reached Alby, it might as well have reached everyone in the Glade, because Alby didn't keep secrets from people. Sometimes that was a good thing, sometimes not so much.

"Guy, I got it! You've gotta come 'ere!" Lily shouted from the down at the end of the walk way. I swallowed hard, standing up a little straighter and Thomas and I jogged over to meet her.

Lily's POV:

The boys came running over, Minho giving me a small, knowing smile before I nodded, gesturing towards the now unlocked portal int the unknown.

"Shall we then, fellows?" I asked, trying to keep the mood light despite everything. Thomas nodded.

"It's now or never I guess." Sighing, Minho was the first to step forward, reluctantly opening the door. It creaked slowly, the creak of a door that hadn't been opened in many years, if ever at all. I held my breath, terrified of the Grievers that may be on the other side, but surprisingly more terrified of seeing none at all.

"What do ya' see?" Thomas asked reluctantly, standing protectively in front of me, why I had no idea. Minho shook his head.

"Nothing. It's just dark." Almost as if on Que, a long row of florescent lights sprang to life, electrifying the hallway in front of us. I gasped, stepping back at first as though adjusting to the new amount of man made light. I stepped forward again, pushing past Thomas and Minho, standing in the doorway, the mouth of the lion. Swallowing hard, I stepped onto the threshold. It all felt so surreal, like it couldn't possibly be happening for real. Was this it? I took another step, glancing down to the end of the hallway, until I saw the split, where the walkway turned a corner. I took another step, then another and another. Soon enough, I had walked all the way to the where the hallway turned, and I glanced back to see Thomas and Minho waiting patiently, staring, curious as though waiting for a play by play reaction from yours truly. I swallowed hard. Now was not the time nor place to make a wrong move. One wrong word, and WICKED would hear. They would hear, and they would find us, and they would kill us.

"Umm, I can't see anything yet, guys. I think I'm gonna explore it and come back out in a minute. It might be too dangerous if we all go in, the door could shut behind us or something." I tried to reason. Thomas nodded, thinking it seemed fairly sensible, but Minho was quick to shake his head.