Chapter Nine

After what seemed like hours of running, we finally slowed for a lunch break. Minho and Thomas both sat down on a couple of rocks, pulling an apple out of their back packs, while I remained standing.

"Aren't you hungry, Lily?" I shook my head, still only half registering the comments. I was in a daze, imagining all of the probabilities, and in each scenario, trying to predict the death tole. It was just something you learned to do in situations like this.

"Hey! Shank! Are you alright? It looks like a shucking ghost just klunked all over your face!" Minho chuckled, but his words were most definitely serious. I swallowed hard, turning to face him as I nodded.

"Oh, umm...yeah. Sorry, just thinking. Say, about how far is this hole you guys were talking about?" I asked suddenly. Minho shrugged, looking to Thomas for a second opinion. Thomas shrugged.

"Hell, I don't know. Maybe about 10 minutes from here..." he mumbled, his mouth still full with half-chewed apple. I smiled, nodding as I went back to staring off into space.

"So, Lily? You and Gally, eh?" Minho interrupted my train of thought, and I instantly became squeamish around his question as he chuckled, obviously aware of my discomfort with the subject.

"Oh, come on shuck-face, it's so beyond obvious how much you two like each other!" Suddenly, my eyes lifted to meet his. Gally liked me back?

"Oh, don't act like you didn't know." Minho chuckled, and I blushed.

"We're just friends, Minho." I murmured quietly. Minho just laughed even harder at this, shaking his head and laughing so hard he had to hold his stomach, shaking his head. Thomas even cracked a smile, chuckling as he shook his head.

"No way, Lily. You may not be in a relationship, but the shucking sexual tension in the air when you guys are in the same room is enough to drown a thousand Grievers!" I couldn't help but smirk a bit, half because of the comment, and half at how lenient he could be in regards to joking about such horrific monsters. Monsters that I would never let myself forget I created.

"Alright, alright, I think you're embarrassing her beyond the legal limit, Minho. Come on, the door, hole thing should be up here soon. We should get there soon to make sure we have enough time to investigate." Thomas reasoned, chuckling lightly as he patted Minho on the back, who was also nodding, chuckling along as they packed up their backpacks.

"Yeah, yeah. Sounds good. Come on then, lover girl. We've got a hole to investigate." The boys chuckled at Minho's obvious sexual innuendo, leaving me to jog a ways behind them as they turned corner after corner. Almost there. Almost freedom.Right?

When the boys had finally slowed to a stop, they must have been near the outer rings that they had discussed earlier, because it seemed that their running had been going on for hours upon hours. It may very well have for all I know.

"Alright, It's just through there, around that corner and down that alley." Minho nodded promptly, turning back to me before jogging off.

"Listen to me, I don't know what's out there ok? Thomas and I were talking about it with Alby, that's the only other person we told. We think it might be a Griever hole, so if it is, we're in deep klunk. And don't get your hopes up, Lily. The worst feeling in the world, worse than knowing there may very well be no way out of here, is the feeling of your hopes for escape being crushed. It's just too hard. Alright, let's do this. One for all, and all for-"

"One." I finished for him. He gave me a small smile, nodding before He jogged off towards the alley, Thomas close on his heels. I brought up the rear, following them into the depths of the alley until finally we turned a corner, leaving us in mostly darkness and a wave of shadows. It wasn't exactly the most comforting place in the world.