Chapter Seven

"Hey Lilli!" I turned around, trying to hold composure as Alby came running up to me. Surprisingly, he didn't seem mad.

"Listen, I know I may have seemed upset back there, but you handled that really well. A bit precocious of you, but I have to admit, I was impressed. Good job. I guess you know how to handle it better than we do." He smiled lightly, and I froze. Did he know?

"W-Why do you say that?" I questioned nervously. Alby smiled, as though it were obvious.

"Well, I mean, because you're a girl. She's a girl, you would know better than us how to make her feel comfortable. Thanks for that." Alby patted me on the back as I relaxed, smiling and nodding in relief as he walked off. Thank the Chancellors. Something we always used to say back in Maze B. Obviously a bi-product of our programming, but we didn't care much. We still used it, it was all we knew. What were we suppose to say? Thank God? Maybe it was just as much the programming as anything else, but none of believed in God, how could we? When something so horrid was happening, and not just to us. To the entire world. It wasn't something we had time to believe in. But then again, I highly doubted that was anything other than the continuous brainwashing talking. I sighed, making my way over towards the kitchens with the others to get breakfast. I doubted Shai would be hungry, but non the less Newt brought her over to get some food. She immediately sat down right beside me.

"Hi, Lilli, right?" She said naturally, she always was good at keeping a lie. Not that either one of us had a choice. They knew as well as we did what our soft spots were, and if anything were to slip from our mouths that wasn't suppose to, they could take all of it away from us. Every little piece. And I think I can almost remember one of the things- or should I say one of the people- that was always used as bait to get me to do something, or say something, that I didn't want to do or say. It was a boy, and I feel like maybe I could remember him, but I'm sure they took that away too before they sent me here. Back in Maze B, we were all high and mighty because we had our "memories". That we had "freedom of thought". Bullshit. We didn't have free thought, we had selected thoughts. Just because we had a few select memories about the past, didn't mean we had a free life. It didn't mean we were better than Maze A, just because we remembered bits and pieces that we fit together to create a life. It wasn't a life, it was pieces of a life. It wasn't even real. We all lived each day, completely identical, with no way out, and no desire, because we were held hostage by a hoard of bloody thirsty psychopaths. And for what? So we could develop a cure for them? They told us once it had been approved, they would send it back up to the Maze for us, so we could give it to the Cranks, and we would then be allowed to leave the Maze, make our escape. It was our hope. What we worked towards. But now, the only two girls who knew about the already developed cure, were taken out of the Maze, and put in a completely different Maze. They took everyone who knew something, and wiped them out of the picture. Those monsters...

"You ok, Lilli?" Shai looked worried for real now. I gave her a small smile, nodding.

"Yeah, yeah. Just thinking is all. How do you like the Glade so far, Shai?" I asked genuinely. She smiled.

"Umm, it's...different." I could hear the seriousness behind her lie. I nodded.

"Yeah, it definitely is. But don't worry, everyone's really friendly here, and I'm sure we can be great friends." I smiled, and she returned the favor. Gally sat down across from me, kneeing my lightly in the shin as he did so. I chuckled.

"Aye, watch it, shuckface, would ya'!" I said, but he just scoffed.

"Please, Lil', you're just as much of a Greenie as Greenie there," He gestured towards Shai, "You have no right to use the word 'shuck-face'." I just rolled my eyes. I'm the one who invented the word Shuck-face. In fact, the memory is blurred, but I think the first time I used it was in reference to him. Of course, the meaning was a bit different when it was first developed. It sort of took on a more derogatory meaning as they grew accustom to the word, much to my dismay.