Chapter Eleven

"Shai? You wouldn't have possibly met a shank who goes by the name of Minho?" I hadn't realized it until Newt had said it, but he had a very valid point. Those twwo were practically identical. Both sassy as hell, straight to the point, blunt, and good for a laugh. Boisterous as klunk too. Shai just looked confused, shaking her head.

"No, why? Is he gay too?" She said, a cheeky grin plastered on her face. Newt blushed, chuckling a bit as he shook his head.

"No, no, definitely not. I was just wondering if you'd met him, is all. It seems like the two of you would get along." I smirked a bit towards Newt, who gave me a reassuring wink. I nodded. Shai just smiled, shrugging.

"Well, maybe I'll have to meet this guy eventually. Of course, it might have to wait, considering a little birdie told me that you guys found a way out." Shai said, smirking as I smiled, nodding.

"maybe, maybe not. Hey, that reminds me, Newt? Why aren't you in the council meeting?" Newt just rolled his eyes.

"Alby bloody knows that I'm all for getting out of this shucking hell-hole as soon as possible, I really don't see the point in my being there. Besides, I've been instructed to watch over you three Greenies." He smirked, as Thomas rolled his eyes playfully.

"I'm not a Greenie!" He said defensively. Newt smiled, looking over at him as he smiled.

"No, but you bloody act like one, Tommy! What with all your running off and disobeying every shucking rule we have here in the Glade!" He said it more out of good natured fun, rather than spite or legitimate anger. Thomas smiled, blushing a bit as Newt lightly smacked his toned shoulder. I chuckled, shaking my head.

"So, what, you're on baby-sitting duty?" Newt nodded.

"Basically. It's better than bloody being in that shucking council room! Those things never were my scene anyway." I nodded, smiling a bit as I imagined a world, a better world, where there wasn't fire, and screaming, and death. Where no one ran for their life, where Newt could express his feelings to "a certain someone" without risking death, although I suppose he was risking that anyway. A world where they had their memories, and a world where I didn't have to lie...all the time.

"Hey! It looks like their just getting out of that shucking council meeting!" Shai said, pointing over towards the homestead, where the doors had been opened and the guys started to file out. I smiled unconsciously when Gally stepped out, thankfully no one noticed. We all stood up from the campfire, jogging out into the open field to meet them half way, and hear the game plan. Most everyone else didn't even realize that an exit had been found, so this was the big announcement. I bit my lip as they began walking towards us, Alby leading the pack, closing the distance between the two groups. I was just about to speak, when a loud, terrifying noise echoed throughout the Glade. Everyone froze in their tracks, searching the darkened skies and outer edges of the Glade for the source of the noise. It echoed again and again, growing louder with each menacing groan, until finally, it was Frypan, shouting from his position in the Kitchen, that found the source of the noise.

"It's the doors! Their shucking opening!!!" Never in my life had those words ever crossed my mind as something to fear, but I suddenly found myself in one of the most irrationally panicked states I've ever encountered. An overwhelming feeling of doom, mixing with the ridden horror of guilt mixed together in a rather unpleasant mixing pot of pain and sorrow. I watched in horror, unable to move, unable to look away, even so much as blink. Everything had frozen, as memories flashed back to Maze B, and that last night, when 10 times the usual amount of Cranks invaded our Glade, infecting, attacking, full-on killing. It was a massacre, blood flowing onto the streets as shrubbery caught fire, along with disconnected limbs. The screams, I almost think that was worse than running from monsters that you can't help but feel responsible for, almost worse than running through streets, trying to avoid the puddles of blood, and doing whatever it took to avoid staring down, only to find a face that you may have once considered a friend. I watched as the doors opened entirely, screams already echoing throughout the Glade. No, not the screams...please not the screams... There was a moment of pure silence then, where the whole world seemed to stop turning, where no one so much as exhaled a breath or terror filled air, where the wind stopped entirely, and the sky all but froze. And then, in the very next instant, all hell broke loose. It was like watching in sow motion, as Grievers upon Grievers flowed out of the doors, the penetrating crunch of their metallic legs pressing into the earthy dirt of the Glade, surprisingly not managing to slow them down much at all, despite their limbs sinking into the muddied ground. The wind picked up again, swirling vigorously about as their putrid smell wafted over our noses, the slime of their demonic figure lacing the ground and the trees and everything they demolished in their wake. And to think, I created these monsters. When I had finally snapped out of my frozen stupor, I noticed that everyone was already running, no one in any particular direction. I saw Alby and Thomas at opposite ends of the Glade, shouting orders to anyone who listened, and Newt gathering together packs of Gladers, and others just running frantically. I was so confused, and worse than that, I was scared. There was something that Shai always used to say to me, usually when we were about to encounter a group of Cranks, "If you ain't scared, you ain't human..." In this moment, I'd sacrifice my humanity for the banishment of something as awful as fear. It paralyzed me, it was a terrible danger, and I couldn't function. Suddenly, I remembered. Shai! Where was she? It seemed like just a moment ago everything had seemed half-way decent, sitting by the campfire, gossiping as though we hadn't a care in the world. Was that all just too good to be true? I suppose. I started running, no idea where, I just knew I needed to find Shai. She was the only other person in this world who knew exactly what I was going through, the only one who could relate. She was my other half. I was running aimlessly around the field, sprinting from side to side, fire roaring up around me with each step. The campfire had made it to the Deadheads. Suddenly, I felt a pair of strong arms wrap around my waist, throwing my over his shoulder as the mysterious man then began to run, my head flopped over, rendering my vision useless from my angle, directly facing his back. I screamed, a shrill, disturbing, terror filled scream that must have rung in his ears as I thrashed and thrashed, to no avail. I finally felt him set me down, lightly tossing me into what felt like stalks of plants. Corn? When I finally looked up, I was met with those eyes, those wonderful, green eyes, that had just scared the shit out of me. I was breathing heavy as he stared down at me, crouching down beside me as he breathed out.