Chapter Thirteen

I walked solemnly towards the make-shift hospital, entering quietly. Shadows skirted each empty hammock, swinging lightly in the breeze. At the far end of the mostly darkened room, I spotted him, sitting silently in one of the hammocks. I sighed, taking small steps towards him. He knew I was behind him, yet still he didn't turn to face me. Finally I made my way around him, sitting down in the stool across from his hammock, scooting it back slightly. If it was true that he had his memories back, he wasn't going to be particularly fond of me. I exhaled, just as he opened his eyes to look at me. His eyes had gone entirely black, black as night. They were cold and demonic, along with his bulging veins that now ran with poisoned black, murky liquid. Yet, despite all of these things, he was still. He was foaming at the mouth, quivering or preaching my inevitable demise. He was still, almost calm.

"Alby?" I said quietly. He didn't move, just continued to stare, towards the ground.

"We both know, Lily. We both know now." He said, his voice hoarse from screaming most likely. His hands gripped each other, his knuckles tense.

"I didn't have a choice Alby." My voice was calmer than I had expected. He shook his head.

"No, we didn't have a choice. You...had a choice." I knew that he was right, I had always convinced myself that I had no choice, maybe I was just kidding myself.

"I can't tell them, Alby. If you really have your memories back, you know why." I said solemnly. He was silent for a moment, before nodding.

"I know you can't. If it didn't endanger my friends, I'd rat on you right shucking now." His deep, monotone voice was dark and filled with pure, unadulterated hatred for me. I nodded.

"I would too." We sat in silence for a moment.

"You have to kill me, Lily. You and I both know that no one else can do it." Somehow, I knew this had been coming. I knew it would have to be me, none of the others could bare the weight. As for me, well, I had already killed so many, hurt so many. What was it to me? It was just another brick in my wall of pain.

"I have a choice, Alby. I choose no." He stuck his hand behind him, pulling it back out to show a sharp, clean blade. He extended it towards me.

"The choice is simple, Lily. Me, or You...and then me. Don't make the wrong choice." I swallowed hard.

"Why don't you just kill yourself." He shook his head.

"I tried. Shucking Griever poison won't let me. It's like it's impossible to stab myself. Someone else has to do it, before I have no choice but to tell everyone about you, about who you really are. Because you and I both know that would mean their certain death. I can't have that." His voice was shaky now, but it wasn't out of anger. More out of sadness. A tear fell down his face, and I sighed.

"Why me?"

"Because you're the only one I hate enough. I don't want my death hanging over the head of my friends, Lily. I would ask you if you understand, but I know you wouldn't. You're no friend of mine, which is why it seems most fitting that you be the one my death sits with...for all eternity." The last part no louder than a dark, hate filled whisper. I sighed, shaking my head.

"I'm not gonna kill you, Alby." Somehow, I knew that wasn't entirely true though.

"We both know you will. You tell yourself you won't lie to us again, but you somehow...always...do. Because you're a fraud Lily. You're a fraud, and a murderer, and a liar." His voice stung like venom, and pierced like thorns. I knew he was right. I was a fraud...I didn't deserve these people.

"What about Gally, hmmm? Did you ever plan on telling him...telling him about himself? What he did to us? Built the Grievers...? And still...you love him. Why is that, Lily? After all he's done to us, though, I guess it makes sense. You too are the only two people in the world, evil enough to deserve each other." I knew his words were a side-affect of the venom to some extent, but the worst part was, he was right. He meant what he said, and I couldn't take it. I didn't deserve Gally, he may have done bad things in the past, but he had changed. I was just the same as always, a fraud...a murderer...a liar. I realized I had failed to notice the specific words Alby had used. Love him. Did I love him?

"Kill me, Lily. Please, before it's too late...you have to kill me. You're the only one who deserves the burden." I shook my head, standing, solemnly.

"I won't kill you Alby. Not unless I have to." I knew saying the last part was a mistake, but it had to be done. I knew he wouldn't make it to morning without hurting someone else, he would go insane, the venom worked to fast for him to be safe another night. It had already spread too far to turn back. To cure him. He had to be killed, and I had to do it.

"You want a reason?...Fine. But I'm warning you, Lily." I nodded.

"I know. Now hand me the blade, Alby." I said, my voice far more cool and collected than it should have been. He nodded, pushing the butt of the blade into my hand. I noticed his hands shaking more now, and I was prepared. I had been forced to handle my fair share of Cranks this way too, although I suppose it was different. I had never known any of the Cranks.

"One last thing, before I die, Lily." I raised an eyebrow, the blade already extended.

"What's that?" I asked,genuinely curious as to what his last sane words might be.

"It's a message from WICKED." I was silent for a moment, before nodding.

"Ok." He cleared his throat, as though he were about to open a scroll of parchment and read aloud to a group of high officials. However, when he spoke, his voice was not his own. They were channeling through him, it was obvious. I remember, they used to channeled through me all the time.

"You have exactly 100 hours left, Lillian. 100 hours, and each 10 hour cycle, one of you will die. I know you weren't prepared for this, so listen carefully. The trials are far from over, Lillian. On the contrary, they have only begun. You have done well so far, do not fail us now. You know what you have to do, and you will know who to sacrifice...when the time comes. Remember...WICKED is good." And then the voice disappeared. Alby blinked, as though even he was shocked by the presence of another in his mind. I swallowed hard. What did all of this mean? The trials? Did that mean that there was more of this to come? And what was meant by sacrifice?

"Lily?" Alby said, his voice seemed vague and distant.

"What is it Alby?" He sighed quietly, reaching his hand into his pocket as he pulled out a small, delicate silver chain. It held a small pearl at the end of it. It was beautiful, my only curiosity lay in the impossibility of him owning such a valuable.

"I never understood why I had this, but I somehow always kept it around. Now I know why. Lily, you're gonna make it out of this...I know it. P-Please...give this to her for me...when you see her again?" He placed the necklace in my open palm, a look of confusion plastered across my face.

"Give it to who, Alby?" I asked softly. He closed his eyes, a final tear rolling down his cheek.

"You'll know. You always do." And then, he snapped. It was like I had seen his last moment of sanity, as he lunged towards me, hands outstretched as they grasped the entirety of my neck. I tried to scream, but only hoarse gasps for air escaped. As he tightened his grip, his eyes darted, only for a moment, towards the blade I still possessed in my left hand. It was like a final plea for death, and I knew I couldn't deny him this. Reaching up with my arm, I extended my leg, kicking him square in the knees as he tumbled back from me, just enough for me to run at him, piercing his chest with the blade he had given me. He froze, blinking, his stare only distant and void now. I knew it had been too late for him, he would have killed somebody had he been left any longer to rot away in this make-shift hospital. Yet still, I couldn't help but gasp, my face cringing as his lifeless body dropped to the floor, the area around the protrusion of the blade covering in dark red liquid. I had killed him. I had really, actually killed him. I stood beside him a while, still clasping the necklace in on hand, the bloodied blade in the other. How ironic...

"I'm sorry, Alby...I'm so, so sorry." Was all I could find the strength to say. I bent down, closing his lifeless eyes as I shook my head. I didn't want to leave his side, but I knew I must. I had to be strong, I had to know what this meant, and carry on as planned. Not for WICKED's sake, but for these people. These people, who had no memories, no hope, and no way out without me. They didn't deserve this, and I was going to make damn sure they got out of here, if it's the last thing I do.