6. A new coworker

It's another average day at the ranch. You're tending to the horses, making sure they're clean and fed. You look at the stable and see Sallie bending over to grab something. It's been a week now since you two have had sex. You're starting to feel like you're going insane. You walk over to her and lean against a wall.

Y/N: Mornin Sallie, you wanna go take a break with me?

(I'm going to abbreviate Sallie Mae to SM from now on.)

SM: Hmmmm, nope. Not interested. Kinda like how you weren't.

Y/N: Sallie, I only did that to play hard to get. I'm very interested in you.

SM: Too bad city boy. Now how about you just focus on work?

She bends over to grab a knife, wiggling her butt to taunt you. After she grabs it she walks off to the pig pen. A sigh escapes from you as you look at the sky. You certainly didn't mean to upset Sallie. After work today you should apologize to her, just in case.

As you go to finish tending to the horses you notice a cloud of dust making its way towards the ranch. You stare at it intently, realizing that there's an imp on a horse causing it. You turn to Sallie, slightly concerned.

Y/N: Hey, we expecting someone today?

SM: Pa did mention us gettin a new farm hand today.

Joe: Bout damn time! Boy was supposed to be here this mornin!

You turn to Joe before looking back at the imp. He rides up to all of you and dismounts his horse. You get a bad feeling the moment you see him. He flashes a smile to all of you, making you uneasy.

Striker: Hey there strangers. Name's Striker, your new farmhand.

Joe: You're late! But it's damn good to have you. I'm Joe and this is my wife, Lin. 

Lin: Pleasure to meet you.

Striker: Pleasures all mine. And you two?

Y/N: I'm Y/n. I just started here recently.

SM: I'm Sallie Mae, good lookin.

Her remark annoys you. She's really trying hard to make you regret teasing her. She can see your upset reaction and gives you a little smirk. You roll your eyes before going back to your work. Her flirting with Striker really bothers you. Her lack of attention towards you recently makes you upset. It's pretty obvious you've developed feelings for her, even though you said you wouldn't.

You hear footsteps behind you, but you decide to focus on your work. The sooner you finish your tasks the sooner you can take some time to think about how things are.

SM: Well if I didn't know any better I'd say you're jealous city boy.

Y/N: (sigh) Please don't Sallie. I'm not in the mood. Just let me work in peace. 

SM: Why are you so upset? Wait. You didn't-

Y/N: What? Start to actually like you? Would it matter? You don't want a relationship. Just sex right? Please, just let me finish my work. And for what it's worth, I'm sorry I denied you that day.  I didn't mean to upset you.

You walk away but get stopped by Sallie grabbing your arm. She turns you to face her and pulls you into a hug. She quickly moves away, turning away from you.

SM: Sorry. I'll stop messin with ya. For what it's worth, you're way more attractive than Striker.

Sallie walks away, leaving you very confused. Does she like you or not? And that Striker character. He really gives off an uncomfortable energy. There's gotta be something going on with him. You finish your work and head into the house. You look into the kitchen and briefly lock eyes with Sallie. You blush and walk upstairs to clean up.

You take a quick shower and lay down in your bed. Between Sallie and this new Striker character things seem like they're going to be a lot to handle.