Chapter 8

The tall, all-glass building that harbored VD Ocean's headquarters was dominating me from all its height. I inhaled the last puffs of my cigarette while watching the fountain just outside the main door. This was my last day in this company, and I would have to confront GD after the dinner debacle. I wasn't looking forward to it.

My throat stung when I smoked the last drag, which was much cigarette butt and very little tobacco. I had less than ten minutes left before the start of my shift, but I was still considering whether to go in. Patricia would kill me if she knew I had deliberately ditched work. Maybe GD would feel bad enough not to report me to my employment agency? That would be counting on his empathy, which he clearly lacked.

I took two more minutes to make up my mind and eventually decided to not take the day off. But if I had to deal with Dullac, I needed caffeine. Hell, I needed vodka, but it was eight a.m. I turned on my heels and headed for the closest Starbucks, dressed in a gorgeous, black-trimmed cream suit from Sigrid's mom, and flat gold sandals, the only shoes my sprained ankle could tolerate.

I was just about to cross the road when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Where do you think you are going?"

Dammit!

It was Dullac. The old one.

"I'm not feeling well," I improvised. "I need to get something to eat."

"You are lying, Llagostera. Get to your office now and I will turn a blind eye on your poor attempt at deceiving me."

A reasonable person would have just shut up and gone to work. But a petty, angry part of me just wanted to fight back.

"No. I need food, and I'm getting it right now."

For all he knew, I could be having a hypoglycemia crisis. He couldn't stop me without potentially facing HR repercussions, and he knew it.

Since he didn't say anything for a while, I took it as my cue to leave.

"Wait," he said.

"What?"

"It would be irresponsible of me to let you go on your own while you're having a health emergency. I'm coming with you."

"It's really unnecessary."

"I insist."

I was going to refuse again but then I realized I didn't care. I didn't like Dullac Senior, but it was with Junior that I'd had an argument. He could come and waste his time if he wanted to.

I took the lead towards Starbucks but he stopped me and told me to go another direction.

"The Starbucks is this way," I said.

"I know a much better place. Follow me."

He didn't leave me time to protest and started walking in the opposite direction, so I followed him. We walked no more than two blocks before we entered a shop. It was a small independent café. I could have easily walked past it and never noticed it. It had a dark wooden floor and mustard yellow walls covered with mirrors of various shapes and sizes. There were no two chairs or tables which were identical, every single piece of furniture was unique and colorful. The ceiling was painted with an intricate, baroque pattern. The employees wore brown corduroy pants and a white short-sleeved shirt with a funky bow tie, which was different for each person. I loved this place and its uniqueness before I even had the chance to look at their menu. This café was the personification of my mind. Which made me wonder why my boss would take me there, as it was the exact opposite of what I imagine he liked: straight lines, sleek furniture, and sharp angles.