Chapter 5

~~

An: above is a drawing of our main trio in case anyone was curious how they looked! :) (Dani, Courtney, & Dante) ~~

(Dani, Courtney, & Dante)
~~

"Good morning, Miss O'Connor."

Courtney exhaled deeply as she entered the headmaster's office the next morning, as per routine. She looked up from the tile she stared at just as Glacier met her at the center of the room, transfixing her attention on the two pills and the glass of water she held in her hands.

She couldn't necessarily say she was displeased to see them. They mellowed her out; made her less aggressive, and ever since Glacier took her in, she had went above and beyond to give her a home and the treatment she needed to turn her life around. But for some reason, she still hesitated to take her medication every morning.

"I know," Glacier said calmly. Courtney slowly met her understanding gaze. "But they do help, don't they?"

"Yeah, I guess," Courtney muttered as she finally took the pills. "Just not used to it."

"I know," Glacier said again. She handed over the glass of water and watched as Courtney drank it. She brushed her bangs out of her face. "Remember to breathe. Remember to smile. We take it one day at a time."

"Right..." Courtney agreed quietly and handed Glacier the now empty cup.

"Before you go," Glacier said as she motioned for Courtney to take a seat on the loveseat behind her. "How's it going with the other class so far? And your partner?"

"You mean Bakugou?" Courtney couldn't contain her grimace as she leaned back in her seat. She looked off to the side with a scowl on her face. "He's an asshole."

"Maybe he seems that way now," Glacier said, tilting to the side to try and catch her eye. "But it's only been one afternoon."

"Yeah, something tells me that's just how he is," Courtney plopped her cheek in her hand with her elbow propped on the armrest beside her. "Y'know, like all the time."

"Give it a chance, Miss O'Connor," Glacier encouraged, trying to smile reassuringly. "You two are supposed to help each other grow."

Courtney scoffed dismissively. "Right."

"Just breathe," Glacier smiled softly again as she trailed back to her desk. "One day at a time."

"Yeah, yeah," Courtney huffed as she arose from her seat and made her way toward the door. "See you later."

"And smile!" Glacier called after her just as the double doors closed behind her. Courtney pursed her lips as she traveled down the hall toward the freshman classroom.

She couldn't help but dread having to spend an entire day with Bakugou, and thought of Glacier's encouragement to breathe and smile as she trudged down the hall until it became a mantra in her head.