Chapter 6

Courtney chewed on the inside of her cheek as she watched her fellow HANY classmates duke it out with their respective U.A. partners. Minutes felt like hours as she awaited her turn to light Bakugou's face on fire, and could feel his mutual anticipation as he too observed the fighting.

Pairs of three fought simultaneously, those currently consisting of Dani and Mina, Julian Lynch and Tenya Iida, and finally Julie Lynch and Kirishima. Courtney's attention was expectedly concentrated on Dani, watching soundlessly as one of Dani's manifested dragons harmlessly pinned Mina to the ground — winning her the match.

"That girl," Bakugou's voice cut through Courtney's concentration, and when she turned to frown at him, she saw that he was focused on Kirishima struggling in his fight against Julie. "What's her Quirk?"

"She creates portals," Courtney said as she followed Bakugou's gaze. "She and her twin have corresponding Quirks. Julian can teleport."

At his mention, Bakugou shifted just as Julian was in the process of using his aforementioned power. Iida appeared to be exhausting himself in his futile attempts at predicting Julian's haphazard way of fighting, and in comparison to his sister, they moved almost identically. Bakugou and Courtney watched in silence just as they thought the match was won, but with one last boost of energy, Iida was able to strike Julian to the ground just as the timer signifying the end of their matches went off.

"Very nice work, everyone," Archangel looked pleased as she watched the individual duos help each other off the mats in which they fought on. "Let's commence the next round."

"Listen up," Aizawa said thereafter. "Next up is Amanda Springfield and Denki Kaminari. August Scott and Minoru Mineta. And Courtney O'Connor and Katsuki Bakugou."

At their mention, the two shared a glance with each other. Courtney felt the rush of excitement as they approached the mat, and as she assumed her spot across from Bakugou, she caught Dante's eye. His expression overall looked steadfast, but the curve of his brow was enough to tell Courtney that he was worried. It made her roll her eyes.

"Alright," Archangel announced as she restarted the timer. "Now, fight!"

At her teacher's permission, Courtney wasted little time in shooting a pillar of fire in Bakugou's direction to maintain their distance. From their first exposure to each other in the theater, she could see that his Quirk had something to do with explosions. She wasn't sure of his range or his other capabilities, and focused mostly on long-range attacks at the beginning of their spar. After her initial onslaught of flames, Bakugou proceeded to force his way through her attacks toward her by blasting explosions from his hands to dissipate her flames.

She watched him like a hawk as he quickly approached her, and waited just until he was readying another explosion for her face before barrel rolling out from underneath him. She heard his sound of surprise at her evasiveness, and barely had time to turn around before she was attacking him again. The two proceeded in a short lived close-range hand-to-hand-combat brawl with both of their fists lit with their powers, and once finding an opening, Courtney replaced their distance by releasing a pulse of flames, and felt the immense heat radiating from her chest as her body lit on fire.

A collective gasp could be heard from their onlooking classmates, and even Bakugou looked taken aback by her sudden transformation as she dealt the winning blow against Bakugou.

She had struck him hard enough to scorch his clothing and send him flying into a tree that was rooted not far behind their sparring mat.

"A little overkill, don't you think?" Dante shouted from behind her just as her flames went out, and she shot a dismissive scowl over her shoulder in response.