Prologue

September
New York, USA
___

The air smelled like burnt hair and charred wood. Dark sheets of smoke licked up into the already grey canvas of sky, drowning the droplets of rain with its toxicity as they fell to the dampened earth below.

Chilled handcuffs burned against heated wrists, and ember eyes lit with aggression gazed out at the scene in front of them.

Flashes of blue and red light flickered against the cold, still body of a Pro Hero. Her grey hair shifted tangibly with the occasional bouts of soft wind, a single hand was held slackly onto her left hip, and occupying the other was a sheet of rain-dampened paper. In front of the mystery Hero stood a round, balding man whom looked to be in his mid-to-late-thirties. His black goatee was sprinkled with grey, and his emerald eyes were dulled after years of service. Behind them was a half-burnt, previously abandoned office building.

Conversation seemed to be had between the two, and within a moment, the Pro Hero had turned over her shoulder to glance toward the police cruiser a teenage girl sat in. Her eyes were like icicles — sharp, cold, fierce. Dollops of light blue could be made out within the majority of white encasing her iris', with tiny pupils set beautifully in the center that dug into her skin like daggers.

The girl within the vehicle tensed at the sight and looked down to her cuffed hands. Her fingertips were burnt and red, and her once clean knees were scuffed and bleeding. She chewed on her lip in both anticipation and anger, feeling the sinking sensation in the pit of her stomach as she physically felt the cold presence approach closer.

The door to the cruiser was suddenly opened, making way for a cold hand to clamp onto the bare skin of the girl's upper arm. She squeezed her eyes shut as she was pulled from her seat, and leaned against the car once she was let go. A menacing stare bored into her skin and made her hairs stand on end, prompting the teen to sink her teeth into the side of her cheek to keep herself from opening her eyes.

"Courtney O'Connor," the chilling voice of the Pro Hero made it to her ears, and a shudder wracked her body. "You are responsible for the damages done to this building, correct?"

Courtney knitted her brows together and finally manned up the courage to look up. She glared fiercely without uttering a single word, prompting the Pro Hero's own brow to narrow.

"Not only that," she continued, crossing her arms over her chest. "But you are also responsible for the injuries inflicted on not one, but several teenage boys, correct?"

At the accusation, Courtney's attention shifted toward the two ambulances set up several feet to the left from where she was standing. She felt the corners of her lips twitch up into a justifiable smirk, and with it she looked back to the Pro Hero before her.

"That's right," she said, hesitation vacant from her tone. "They deserved it."

"Mind delving into how?" Requested the Hero, and Courtney greatly obliged.

"What's a girl to do when a mob of dudes starts following her home?" She replied with a question — one that made the Hero's stare run blank. "I was defending myself."

"How did you know they were following you?" Asked Courtney's probation officer, who had been standing idly by with his hands on his hips.

"They were cat calling my like they always do," she replied simply, pursing her lips with a scowl. "If I didn't do something first, they could have."

"That still doesn't justify the clear arson you committed," her probation officer cut in, gesturing a hand toward the smoking remains behind them. "How do you explain that, Courtney?"