Part 5 (Julie's POV)

I feel like this one is worse than the last one... mwahahaha!! (sorry about this😅)

I walked to the door of the house, still pissed at Luke for just poofing out like that. I went up to my room, close the door, flopping on my bed. I looked over a wardrobe. Flynn had scoured through it this morning, and it was still a mess. I wasn't too worried about it, until I saw the jacket on the floor. It was a plain zip-up hoodie, but I haven't worn since...

My dad gripped Carlos's and my hands, leading us through the hallways that smelled of hand sanitiser. I've gotten familiar with these halls. Ah, room 999. I ran in, hugging my mother tightly.

"Hey Mija," she mermaid. I look like a dad and colours.

"Sweetie, I got something for you." My mum reached to her bedside table, picking up a necklace. She placed into my hands, and I looked at it.

"It's A dahlia!" I smiled; but something was off. I chatted with mum for a bit before she called over Carlos, so I stepped back. I zoned out when she spoke with him. He was only nine. My dad placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Mum? Are you coming home soon?" Carlos asked. my mother's eyes grew sad.

"Hopefully." she forced a smile, looking to my dad.

"Hey guys can you wait outside for a minute?" He asked I nodded and took Carlos with me. We waited out in the hallway for a good 45 minutes, before we said our goodbyes and left, the dahlia necklace secured in my hand.

The next day after school, Carlos and I waited for a dad to pick us up to go see mum. We got in the car, and I pulled out my book from the glovebox, it was the one I read every day on the way to the hospital. It was... Comforting in a way, rereading over and over again every day. Because no matter what happened to book would always be waiting for me in the glovebox, no matter what the

situation was. My earphones were in, and as I read, I mindlessly fiddled with the Dahlia pendant on my neck. I was so absorbed in my own world, trying not to think of how sick my mother was, I didn't realise until the car stopped that we weren't at the hospital. We were home.

"Is mum home?" I asked, unable to hide the excitement in my voice. My dad didn't answer.

"That's what I've been asking, but he won't answer." Carlos told me.

"Dad?"

"Come inside." He told us softly. We got out of the car and followed him inside, where Tia Victoria was sitting at the table, teary eyed. When she saw us come in, she stood up and hugged Carlos and I tightly.

"Dad! What's going on?" Carlos asked. I pulled away from Tia Victoria. Dad was fighting back tears. And that's when I knew.

"No..."

"she's gone, Jules." He managed.

"No! You're lying!" I screamed, running out of the door and up the driveway. I hid behind a tree, pulled off the necklace and glared at it before stuffing in the pocket of my jumper. Not long after, my dad came and sat down next to me.

"Jules..."

"Y-you said she was g-getting better!" I hiccupped. "W-why would y-you lie?" My dad hugged me tightly.

"She was, but-" his voice broke. I felt a little bit bad for yelling at him. He was also upset. It wasn't fair on him. "She got worse again. We decided not to tell you." He continued. I could hear Carlos crying back at the house. I started shaking violently as I sobbed.

"I d-didn't even get to s-say goodbye." I turned and cried into my dad's chest. He didn't say anything. We stayed there for what seemed like forever. At some point I had stopped crying, and my eyelids had grown heavy, and then nothing.

I woke up the next morning and got ready for school, convinced it was a bad dream. Everyone was still asleep by the time I left for the bus stop. The bus ride was dead quiet as I felt two dozen eyes watching me as I got off. In fact, everyone at school was acting weird. Everyone watched as I walked down the hall. If I locked eyes with anyone, they would give me a sad smile. I didn't find out why until I walked into my morning class.

"Julie! What a surprise! I wasn't expecting you back so soon!" My teacher greeted. I looked at her in confusion, feeling the whole class watching me.

"So soon after what?" I asked. The teacher just looked at me in pity.

"Let's go into the hall." She escorted me out of class.

"What's going on?" I demanded.

"Julie, I know the death of a parent can be hard, but you know you don't need to act strong all the time."

"What? Death of a-" I stopped, feeling numb. "M-my mum." I remembered. I felt my chest tighten, and I couldn't breathe. I leant against the wall sliding down to the floor.

"Do you want me to get someone?"

"Yeah, F-Flynn, please."

"Yeah, okay." The teacher went back into class and the bell rang to signal the end of morning form. People streamed out of their rooms. I tried to hide my face, but they already knew.

"Julie! What are you doing here?" Flynn asked as she rushed over.

"I-I thought it was a dream..." I murmured, feeling sick. She hugged me for a moment.

"Do you want to go to your next class?" She asked. I inhaled, nodding. I was already here, and I definitely didn't want to go home.

"C'mon, it's your favourite class. Let's go." She helped me up, and she took me into the music room. We sat down and people began to perform their pieces. One girl sat at the piano and started playing beautifully. I planted my hands in my ears and squished my eyes tight. It was too much.

"Shut up!" I yelled running out of the class.

A tear slid down my cheek as I picked up the jacket, stuck my hand in the pocket, and pulled out the necklace. I smiled, staring at the flower pendant. Wait, it has hinges? I realised that there was a crevice down the side of the pendant. I stuck my nails in it and pull them apart. It was a locket. I inside was a small photo of my mum holding a little girl in her arms. I immediately recognised her. It was me. I closed the locket and attached it to my neck. She will always be with me.

no comment for me on this one... it speaks for itself...