The Details

"So class, as you know, next week the entire 6th grade will be going on our annual week long trip to Washington DC, says my teacher Mr. McAfee". "This trip is will consist of educational events, like the Smithsonian and the US Capitol, and some recreational activities, like a wizards and capitals game". "Please have your parents sign the permission slip and medical forms, and bring them back by Wednesday". "Class dismissed".

I picked up the forms and started to head to the bus, when I bumped into my best friend, Mark. "So what are you going to do about your problem on the trip", asks Mark. "I don't know", I reply, "I have to go on the trip  as it's mandatory". "Maybe my parents will have a suggestion".

Let me back up a bit. My name is Ryan Miller and I'm in 6th grade. I'm pretty average in every aspect. I go to an all boys school, in New York City. And every year the 6th grade takes a mandatory week long trip, down the I95 to visit our country's capital. Most boys are really excited for this trip, because it means a week off from school work. But me, I'm extremely nervous because of my problem. I'm a bedwetter. Every night, I stop drinking around 7 o'clock, go to the bathroom twice before bed, and put on a pullup. But when I wake up, it's usually soaked. And when it's not soaked, it's always wet. I can count the amount of nights that I woke up dry on one hand.

The only people that know about it is my parents, grandparents, doctors, Mark (my best friend), and his parents. The only reason Mark knows is because we were once playing hide and seek in my house. He hid inside my closet. After about five minutes he got bored and started going through the draws and shelves inside. My pants, shirts, underwear, and games. That's when a bag hidden all the way in back, hidden underneath all of my white briefs, caught his eye. He yanked it out, spilling it's contents. He was busy cleaning it up, when I opened the door.

"Found you", I shouted. That's when I saw that he was holding some of my pullups with the bag on the floor. I turned bright red and stammered "That's not mine, it's my cousin's". "Relax", he said, "I don't care that you still have accidents". "Is this why you never wanted to have a sleepover". I nodded my head in shame. "It's all good", he said, "you know that I'll never make fun of you". "Besides I think it's cool that you're man enough to still wear diapers". "They're not diapers, they're pullups", I yelped only realizing how babyish it made me sound after the fact. "Still", Mark continued, "you have an issue and found a solution, even if most people think it's childish".

After that we became even closer friends. We've had plenty of sleepovers. He never told anyone my secret, even his parents. Although they found out during one sleepover, when my pullup leaked onto the mattress. I had to wake them up to tell them, exposing my deepest secret, but that's a story for a different time.