Chapter 53

"You're clear to go,"security said.

"I guess they're just beingcareful," Lucy told Johan as they headed toward the assignedauditorium.

"Or they don't want us sneaking inoutside food," Johan remarked.

"I never understood that."

"That's how they make their money.Movie tickets alone don't cover the cost of the theater, so theycharge you extra for the snacks and prohibit you from bringing yourown."

"Overcharge? But..." shelooked down at her large popcorn bucket.

"Don't worry about it. I changedmy account so the limit on my card would be higher."

"Yeah but... I'm going to behonest, I feel kind of guilty having you spend so much on me."

"It's fine. I've been saving upbut having nothing to spend the money on. I might as well have somefun."

Lucy smiled as she thought, 'Johan isso nice. I feel really bad about him spending so much on me,especially since he's so uncomfortable. I can still sense an awkwardfeeling coming from him. But I want him to be happy because he'sgiven me so much joy. Johan, please be happy.'

After showing their tickets to thestaff member at the entrance, they enter the dimly lit auditoriumwhere they find their seats in the center. Lucy glanced around her,seeing a lot of couples sitting together, some with their arms acrosseach other. 'I guess that's out of the question for us.' Anotherglance showed her a couple kissing, prompting her to turn away.'That's definitely out of the question for us.' Looking around a bitmore, she spotted a couple who noticed them and after a disprovinglook, turned their attention away. 'That's rude. Why is there alwaysthat one or two people who always do that.' Having had enough, sheturned her attention toward Johan. Even though he was not showing anyovert emotion, she could tell he was quite tense and uncomfortable.She noticed his hand had a slight tremble and placed hers on top ofit. This prompted him to turn his head toward her direction.

"Just relax," Lucy told Johan.

He slipped his hand away. "Maybe oncethe lights go off." At that moment, the room darkened, and arelieving sigh emitted from Johan.

Once the movie began, Lucy began eatingfrom the large bucket she was holding. She nudged Johan as sheoffered. "I thought you bought it so we could share," shewhispered. He reached in and took a few pieces of popcorn only forher to place the bucket in his lap. "I'll leave you in charge ofit." Johan gave a bit of an awkward smile and turned hisattention back to the film. With a satisfied smile, she placed herattention back on the screen but from the corner of her eye saw thesame woman as before now with a disgusted look before turning herback.

The movie continued with many funmoments that had everyone laughing. Even Johan joined in, giving himsome well needed humor and giving Lucy relief in seeing him enjoyinghimself.

The tone of the movie shifted toward adramatic scene where tension was rising as the female lead started anargument.

"Todd, how long are you going tokeep up this charade?"

"What charade? What are youtalking about?"

"It's as clear as day. You don'tlove me, at all."

"What makes you say that? Aren'twe on a date?"

"A date you're being forced to goon."

"But you're the one who asked meout, Cheryl."

"I know that, but now I realizewhy you paused before you answered. You didn't want to go out withme, you wanted to decline, because you want to be Sarah."