•E L E V E N•

♪ And after some reflection, I can't get there on my ownI need a lift ♪{Jojo—Lift}

I need a lift ♪
{Jojo—Lift}

Cordelia's brothers had arrived, like knights in not-so-shining armor, to rescue her. And they'd seen her in the nude, with another woman in her bed.

She hyperventilated. The shivers started in her toes, shooting up her calves, weakening her knees. Then her thighs, up her belly, and spreading out to her arms and neck. And then the dizziness came over her—Cordelia lost her balance and collapsed on all fours, in front of her two brothers.

They helped her to the bed—not without looks of concern as they did so—and Helen hurried to settle next to her and take her hand.

"Is that devil not feeding you?" Jules' voice was low and raspy, and he scrubbed a hand over his face.

"Cordelia." Sébastien's timbre was softer, more soothing, yet pinched with apprehension. "What is going on here?"

Regaining her sense of self—and pulling up the sheet that had been covering her body—Cordelia glowered at her siblings. "You first. How did you know I was here? How did you know to come?"

And why did I not get some kind of warning?

Razin grunted and leaned against one of the furthest walls, giving them space to deal with the situation as a family. Helen might have done the same—distanced herself—but if she'd tried, Cordelia would have stopped her. For the past few months, she'd been Cordelia's family.

"Let us say that this domain, though isolated and well-manned, is not as heavily guarded as anticipated," said Sébastien, unfastening his cloak and moving it around to air it out. "This woman works through illusion, it seems. Jules and I thought there would be no way to get in, but as we circled the property, Razin found multiple weak spots where we might sneak in."

"She thought no one would come find you," said Jules, kneeling before his sister, one hand on her knee. "That witchy woman, she thought no one would dare, no one would have the resources. Well, she has forgotten who I am, who we are."

"Razin," said Helen, scratchy, as if recovering her voice after a long period of not talking. "How did you get up the tower and through that window?"

Razin snorted. "You would question my ways?" He brushed off something from his cloak, and Cordelia caught a hint of a smirk forming over his lips. Always so brooding, so dangerous in appearance—but beneath all that ruggedness, Cordelia knew there was a heart of gold.

"Fine," Cordelia blew out a breath, "then how did you two get inside, and up the stairs, and past the guards? We have been locked in here for seven days, and were only allowed out this morning, briefly. As far as I could tell, the place is rampant with men who operate for the Baroness."

"Ah, is that what she calls herself?" Jules snickered as he got up and marched to the other end of the room, near Razin. He was keeping his voice lowered; they all were, lest someone hear them through the heavy door. "She is no noble. Her title was taken from her, yet she continues to use it?"