•T W E N T Y - F I V E•

♪ Sabotage the things you love the mostCamouflage so you can feed the lie that you're composed ♪{Halsey—Whispers}(EXPLICIT WARNING for the song)

Camouflage so you can feed the lie that you're composed ♪
{Halsey—Whispers}
(EXPLICIT WARNING for the song)

Cordelia was so exhausted, she did sleep—but not without bloody nightmares of trials, hangings, and horseback pursuits around Totresia in search of the woman who'd stolen her heart.

Had Helen gotten out? Would she? Should she?

Cordelia woke up on the floor of her room. She'd had no energy to transfer onto her large, luxurious bed, and preferred to remain on the dust-ridden ground where she belonged. Her predicament, Helen's predicament, were her fault, and she didn't deserve to roll around in plush sheets and sink her head into a comfortable cushion. Why she hadn't been taken to the prison with Sir Richel, she'd never know.

As she got up and put on a night-shift, intending to stay locked in her room all day, a knock came from her door. And not from the main door, but the adjoining one to her ladies-in-waitings' chambers.

She hesitated, at first, not sure how her private staff would react at her return. She'd abandoned them. But she was in need of food and a long bath, and realized she had no alternative but to let them in and apologize.

She unlocked the door, opened it, and three of her four maidens poured into the room, silent, but their eyes loaded with questions.

"I will explain what I can in due time," she told them, between teary embraces and thanks to the Lord for her safe return. "But for now, would you mind fetching me something to drink, something to eat, and preparing me a bath?" She was never so polite, so reserved with her ladies; but so many months away from them had made her more grateful than ever to have them back, to attend to her and whatever she needed.

She'd become accustomed to grumpy soldiers and timid serving girls and pirates, for goodness' sake. So to have her own ladies at her beck and call again, women who knew her, who read her gazes, who anticipated her needs, was a blessing.

An hour or so later, she bathed in scorching water, sipping on lavender tea as one of her girls helped scrub her back. The water was turning dark from all the grime—Cordelia hadn't realized how dirty she'd gotten between her last bath at Valeville manor and now.

She handed her mug to one of the other ladies standing nearby, waiting to help her out of the tub when she was ready. "Clarisse?" Cordelia asked, addressing both women in the room with her. "Does anyone have news from her?"

She'd sent Clarisse away in haste after Antoine had taken The Golden Girl from her chambers, and hoped she'd had the intelligence to stay at a distance and not make herself known at Torrinni Court while Cordelia was gone. Antoine would have put two and two together by now; meaning Clarisse was yet another person in Cordelia's life who was in danger.

The girl sponging Cordelia's lower neck spoke first. "As far as we are aware, she traveled to Italy, where she had some distant relatives."

"She sent a letter here and there," said the other girl, gaze averted. "We presumed those letters were meant for you, but as you were not here..."