•T W E N T Y - T H R E E•

♪ Just let me keep the last piece of my heartBefore you tear it all apart ♪{Lykke Li—Last piece}

Before you tear it all apart ♪
{Lykke Li—Last piece}

Despite the awkwardness still hanging in the air, Antoine escorted Sébastien and Cordelia out of the parlor and down the deserted corridor. The Entryway was still empty of people—but there were dirtied footsteps on the once pristine floors, and debris and discarded weapons near the front door. It looked like a stampede of wild animals had prowled through, and Cordelia slowed her pace as Antoine led them outside.

"It looks worse on the side where his office is," said Antoine, catching Cordelia's confusion. He shaded his eyes as they walked out to a blaring but welcome summer sun. "We barged in and his men had no say in it. They operate for him, but one sighting of me and my crown and they were bending over backwards to get me an audience with the man of the house."

Cordelia snorted; so much for what the guard had told her the other day, about only obeying Sir Richel.

They are all afraid of the King.

"So you had no plan?" Sébastien walked on his other side, gaze aimed at the cluster of horses and the two carriages parked in front of the manor gates, blocking anyone from coming in or out. A few men were gathered there, including Jules, who came running at the sight of them. "You rushed in, guns blazing?"

Jules hurried over and tugged Cordelia into a hug, and whispered into her ear, "are you all right?"

She nodded, having figured out at last how to hold the tears at bay—that by placating Antoine, she might be able to spare Helen's life. His reaction at their love had scared her; too calm, yet so soaked in rage that he might explode at any moment. The we will talk about it later point was still simmering in her gut, and she feared what he'd do the instant he saw Helen.

As if summoned by Cordelia's thoughts alone, Helen made her appearance. Cordelia had twisted to issue a final glance at the manor, and she caught her arriving in the doorway, wearing the same golden gown as the day before. She was wary, coming out of the building with one of Antoine's guards—Denis, from the looks of his youthful but concerned face, and those bright eyes that Cordelia had often seen slanted and narrowed at nobles arguing with Antoine. He was a young man Antoine kept near him nearly twenty-four hours a day, and who'd been through his fair share of tribulations. But of course, he'd be with Antoine when he invaded Valeville.

Jules and Sébastien's sudden silence prompted Antoine to turn around and witness the arrival for himself. He knew Helen well; he'd accepted her into court, urged on by Marguerite, after all. He'd met her father, and he'd watched her mingle with the other debutantes who'd been invited to court. But the way he looked at her now—Cordelia saw it from her distanced position at his side—showed that he not only knew her, but he no longer wanted to. He accorded her two seconds of his slight squint, of his upper lip trembling, of his body tensing, before flipping around to resume walking towards the carriages.