•T W E L V E•

♪ Don't wait for me, Don't wait for meWait, ah, It's not a happy ending ♪{Halsey—Bells in Santa Fe}(EXPLICIT WARNING for the song)

Wait, ah, It's not a happy ending ♪
{Halsey—Bells in Santa Fe}
(EXPLICIT WARNING for the song)

On the way out—all three men headed for the door, this time—Sébastien promised they'd return no later than the next day.

"We scouted the perimeter. I believe Razin has kept count of all the Baroness' guards," said Sébastien, one hand over the door-knob, with Jules and Razin gathering near him.

"Not enough to keep us at bay," muttered Razin, with a brief glimpse at Cordelia—one she recognized as his mischievous look, when he knew he was highly qualified for a task. He'd given her that look more than once during their training sessions, and also during their trip to Paris.

"We do have small troops of our own men," said Jules, after blowing Cordelia a kiss. "And if we can manage it, we hope to have you out of here before tomorrow's end. Sleep tight," he winked at Helen, "and steer clear of that woman if you can."

They left, and suddenly the air in the room was lighter, less polluted with conspiracies and distrust. Not that Cordelia didn't trust her brothers and Razin—but it was they who didn't trust her. Jules had made it apparent he'd accept her no matter what; but would Sébastien? And would Razin keep training her while knowing her tendencies leaned towards loving a woman?

Cordelia and Helen didn't disrobe, but climbed into the narrow bed together, holding on to one another as if a tornado were about to shove them apart. They clasped at waists and gripped necks and squeezed, afraid that one breath, one word might break through them, might separate them forever.

Helen was no fool; she'd seen Sébastien's pointed glances, she'd felt the coldness in Razin's voice. One out of three had come to terms with their proximity, but the other two reflected what Cordelia assumed everyone else's opinion would be: a woman and a woman did not belong together, in the eyes of God, in the eyes of their people.

"It will be all right," whispered Helen, what felt like hours later. For once, she, too, hadn't been able to fall asleep, and lay with Cordelia tucked in her arms. She didn't move, but Cordelia recognized her heavy breathing; not the slight snoring and calm breaths took when sleeping.

Cordelia fidgeted, switching her position to give her a view of Helen's face. They'd lit a candle—Jules had taken back his—and the flames seemed to dance in Helen's eyes as she kept them fixed on the other side of the bed.

"How can you say that? How can you be sure?"

"Because regardless, they are saving us." Helen wouldn't look at Cordelia, but she snuggled her closer, deeper into her embrace. Her flowery scent reassured Cordelia if only for an instant. "Getting out from under the Baroness' clutch is the priority, yes? The rest..." She sighed, and her chest caved in, lulling Cordelia even closer to her. "We will figure it out in due time."