1.2 | do i have to deceive you?

question of the chapter: what ship is your favourite?

Astoria would forever be grateful to Katherine for the life that she was given. When Astoria was a child, she didn't know what her life would look like. Granted she was young, she didn't think much of her future. All she cared about was what she would be doing in a couple of hours, not a couple of years. But she could have never imagined that it be one filled with such beauty and life.

Astoria knew that many people wouldn't agree with her. Her life wasn't perfect. It wasn't easy either. Katherine tried to keep it from her when she was young, trying to play off their constant moves as her wanting to show Astoria as much of the world as she could. She told Astoria they were playing pretend when she would have to introduce herself under another name. That it was all just a game. Then Astoria was told the truth. She learned about why Katherine always had to be on the move, why they could never stay in a place for too long. Katherine told her on her twelfth birthday. The same day she gave Astoria a silver neckless shaped like a flower. Astoria didn't know which it was supposed to say. Katherine never told her, but it was beautiful, and Astoria cherished it. Katherine didn't say much when she gave it to her, only that she loved her, and she always would. Even when they were apart.

They had never been apart before, at least not for long. Only during the day when they had things to do. Katherine gave her quite a bit of freedom. It wasn't like that at first, but Astoria earned her trust. Katherine was very protective over her. She didn't want Astoria to get hurt. Katherine would tell her that she had too much of Damon in her. She didn't like to sit still, she didn't always like to listen either.

But no matter how content she was with her life, there was a hole in her life that she knew she could never replace. She could surround herself with as much love as possible, but it wouldn't be the same. There wasn't a day that went by that Astoria didn't think about Stefan and Damon. She wished that they could be with her to experience everything. She knew that they would've loved it. She would write about it sometimes. Writing always helped her ease her mind. It was where she would store away her grief too. It started with her writing down her thoughts when Katherine had gifted her a diary, but soon she realized that wasn't enough. When she wrote about her brothers as she remembered them, she ran out of material. She only had so many moments with them, but when she would place them into stories, they lived forever. Astoria knew there were hundreds of different ways her life could've gone, she wrote about each of them. It was the only time she was truly happy.

She had just finished writing for the day. In a little spot that she had gone to everyday for the last few weeks. It was by the ocean. She sat on top of a cliff underneath a tree, enjoying the shade that it provided from the sun. It was quiet up there, with only the sound of the waves hitting against the shore. She always liked being outside, feeling the breeze against her face, and the grass tickle against her skin. Astoria loved Italy. Northern Italy was cold during this time of the year, but she liked the cold. She hated that she would have to leave soon. Katherine didn't say when, but she knew they couldn't stay put for too long.

She had to make her way back to their house. They lived far. Almost an hour out, but Astoria loved being near the water. She didn't know why. She wasn't exposed much to it as a kid, with their only water source being a nearby lake, but she fell in love the first time she laid eyes on the ocean. It was a far walk, but Astoria enjoyed the time to think. She would have to travel through town, which was another place that she loved. She enjoyed walking by the different shops and street vendors, seeing what they were selling. Things always changed, every day there was something new. They were located near a marina, people came and went.