1.3 | emotions are a dangerous thing

question of the chapter: did you come from my kol fanfic or is this your first time reading a fic of mine?

Astoria did not head to her spot by the water the next day. She wanted to, but that would mean having to walk for an hour there and then back, only to go back into town once she arrived home, which would look suspicious to Katherine. She knew that Katherine would object to their meeting, it was late at night with a man that neither of them really knew. It was a risk, but something inside of Astoria told her that it was worth it. She had to see him.

So she waited until a little bit before sunset to tell Katherine that she was going to go to sleep early tonight. Katherine bought it. Astoria never lied to her, and she earned her trust a long time ago. It wasn't that Astoria wasn't allowed outside without Katherine's permission, she was free to go. But Katherine was incredibly protective over her. Astoria understood why. Katherine had known her since she was a child, and in many ways, she was like a mother to Astoria. Astoria knew that Katherine already had enough to worry about, she didn't want to add to that. Still, as she made her way to meet the man from the market, she couldn't stop worrying about it.

But those worries were soon replaced by new ones as she arrived at the fountain they agreed to meet at. It was empty. Most of the town was already in their homes. Which was expected. What wasn't expected was that the man hadn't come. It was completely empty. She couldn't see anyone. For a second, Astoria was worried that he wasn't coming. Maybe he had simply forgot or decided against it. After all, she did slam his face into a dessert. She couldn't blame him for not wanting to be around her.

"Hello, love," Astoria heard as she felt a finger tap against her shoulder, causing her to jump in her spot and turn around, bringing her hand to her heart when she saw the same soft blue eyes from earlier staring at her.

"Apologies, I did not mean to startle you," He smiled kindly at her, though Astoria found it hard to believe.

"Then perhaps sneaking up behind me was not the best idea, now was it?" Astoria asked as she began to relax, wrapping her arms around her coat.

"Most likely," He agreed."I did not think that you would come. Instead, you arrived early."

Astoria blushed a little bit, but she didn't want to admit that she did want to see him. She hoped that the cold weather had turned her cheeks red enough so that he wouldn't notice."Yes. I believe it is rude to keep people waiting, wouldn't you agree?"

"I suppose there is some level of truth to that," He mused, beginning to walk away from the fountain, guiding Astoria to walk beside him.

"Where are we going?" She frowned, though she didn't wait for an answer and continued to follow him down the cobblestone path that led away from the town.

"Would you accept it as an answer if i told you it was a surprise?" He checked, raising an eyebrow.

"I suppose so," She agreed, biting down on her lip to keep from smiling. She did like surprises and mysteries."Though I would certainly feel better if I knew your name?"

"That does make sense," He agreed, nodding his head once, but he didn't offer up his name."I would like to know yours as well."

"I am sure you would," Astoria nodded her head once."As of now, I have no intentions of giving you my name. Whether or not that changes, is up to you."

He chuckled at her response, shaking his head."Not much will change if I continue to know little about you. Or if you control what I know."

"Have a need to be in control, do you?" Astoria raised a questioning eyebrow.