1.5 | from the lips of a liar

question of the chapter: saddest scene in tvdu for you?

"What on Earth are you doing?"

Klaus closed his eyes tightly the second he heard his brother's voice, inhaling sharply. He knew that when he heard the creaking of the wooden floorboard down the hall grow closer and closer that there was a ninety percent change he was going to be agitated in the next ten seconds and he was correct.

"Certainly not enjoying my time alone," Klaus responded, not turning around to face his older brother who had stepped into the sunroom at the back of the house they were staying in after he pulled open the door.

"You said that we would be in Italy for a few days, that you would find Katerina shortly, it has been weeks," Elijah narrowed his eyes at Klaus, who still continued working on his painting. The lighting in this house was poor, he only had so many hours of natural daylight to work with and wasn't going to give them up when he had a deadline.

"And here I thought you were the patient one," Klaus joked while glancing up at Elijah with a small grin, but this brother wasn't impressed. Klaus sighed tiredly and shifted a bit to face him."It takes time to win someone over."

"You do not need to win her over," Elijah gritted through his teeth."You have responsibilities in New Orleans, not to mention you risk our exposure with easy passing second we are not there. You are playing a game, one of which I do not understand the goal."

"I already told you-" Klaus gritted through his teeth.

"Yes, and I believed you at first," Elijah interrupted him."But now I am not quite sure what your motives are. Is it to hurt the girl? She has done nothing to you. Katerina is not here to see your game unfold and you have no idea whether or not this girl even knows where Katerina is. Why are you devoting so much time to her? Do not tell me this is becoming more than a game to you."

"And what could this possibly mean to me?" Klaus narrowed his eyes at his older brother.

"That you have not left because you can't," Elijah replied quickly."You enjoy spending time with her."

"You know what she looks like, Elijah, of course I enjoy spending time with her," Klaus said with a small smirk, but Elijah wasn't amused by his response.

"There are plenty beautiful women, Niklaus, most of which you do not give the time of day," Elijah reminded him before taking notice of something else. His drawing."What is it that you are drawing now? Who are those men?"

"Her brothers," Klaus answered as if it were obvious, but Elijah never met Astoria so he would not have known."They died years ago. It is her birthday tomorrow. She said she has nothing to remind her of them."

"So you decide to make her a painting?" Elijah raised his eyebrows.

"I thought you wanted me to do more nice things," Klaus reminded him with a scowl."If I am to make her believe that I care for her, then I cannot show up empty handed on her birthday."

"Have you even kissed her yet?" Elijah inquired.

His question caused Klaus to furrow his brow, frowning up at his brother. The answer was a no. Klaus hadn't kissed her yet. The first time he tried, she pulled away from him. It had surprised Klaus, as she seemed comfortable with him and they were clearly more than friends to her, but still made no effort. So he decided to hold off.

"Why are you asking?"

"You are pretending to court her, have been for weeks now," Elijah answered with a tired sigh."Yet you have made no effort to initiate anything with her. If you were really trying to fool her, you would have done so by now. But you are hesitant. Why do you think that is?"