1.4 | that is not what your heart desires

question of the chapter: who is your least favourite tvdu character?

Astoria rose her hand to her eyes in attempts to shield the bright rays cast down by the sun that were too much for her eyes. Around this time, the sun was strong. After emerging from the woods where she had branches and leaves covering her view and near the edge of the cliff where there was nothing to protect her eyes, the brightness just took her by surprise and she needed a quick second to adjust.

"Are you alright, love?" She heard him call out to her, causing Astoria to blush slightly, but hopefully he was too far away to notice. She had thought about him all night long before she drifted off to sleep, eager to start the next day so that she could see his face again, and hear his voice. Being around him was calming for her, but at the same time, she was on edge, eagerly anticipating whatever came next. It was all she could think about and she didn't hesitate to say goodbye to Katherine in the morning and quickly taking off out of the house.

"I will be better once that cloud blocks the sun," Astoria joked, looking towards him and seeing him standing up from the ground. He had brought what looked like a table cloth and laid it out on the ground, a woven basket was sitting in the middle.

"I thought that you might be hungry, since I did request we meet around lunch," He made his way over to greet her. He reached forward and laced their fingers together. A small smile graced her lips at his touch, but he didn't seem to notice. He had turned to lead her over to where he planned the picnic."It would be rude not to bring something to eat."

"That is very. . . Thoughtful of you, thank you," Astoria replied as she sat down on the cloth, watching as he sat down in front of her and opened the basket.

"I was not sure what you enjoy eating," He admitted as he pulled out something that was wrapped in a cloth napkin."So I figured that it would be best to bring a bit of everything."

"Should you not be working?" Astoria asked, raising her eyebrows and tilting her head to the side. She knew that the market was open all day. From morning to evening. It was crowded and Astoria tried to avoid it. Shops rarely closed.

"Not to worry, I left someone in charge," He answered quickly, handing what he took out to Astoria. She unwrapped it and recognized it immediately. She saw it all over the market ever since December arrived. She was told that it was popular around Christmas time. A sweet fruit bread. Astoria had yet to try it, but she was tempted. It smelled delicious and was still warm in her hands. He must've just baked it.

"Do you do all the baking yourself?" She wondered, trying to make conversation.

"I have a few people who help me," He said as he continued to take what he brought out of the basket, placing them down on the side before he took out a few utensils and plates. He then moved the basket off to the side."But I baked everything here myself. I would not give you anything I could not guarantee would leave you satisfied."

"So do you not trust the people you hired or are you just confident in your own abilities?" Astoria asked, watching as she shrugged his shoulders.

"I suppose it is a bit of both," He admitted."When I want something done a certain way, I prefer to leave that in my own hands. Do you not agree?"

"No, I agree," Astoria nodded her head slowly."Though I think that is not always possible. Sometimes we have to put our faith in other people and hope that things will turn out the way we want them too. I do see your concerns, however. It is not easy to trust people these days. My sister is the only one I can count on."