1.6 | only i fell

question of the chapter:
favourite season of tvd?

Astoria knew that birthdays were supposed to be a happy day. For most people, the thought of their birthday excited them. Being able to receive gifts and being celebrated. Astoria got those things too. Katherine always made sure of it. She would shower Astoria with baked goods and presents, dresses, jewelry, whatever she wanted. Astoria felt guilty that none of that worked to distract her from what she really wanted. Her brothers. Every year she was reminded that she was getting older. Soon, she would be older than Damon was when he died. She was already older than Stefan. She missed celebrating it with them even though she couldn't remember most of them since she was too young at the time.

Still, as she walked into the kitchen, Astoria pushed a smile onto her face. Up ahead of her was the round and wooden kitchen table that was already filled with several different dishes. Eggs, scones with jam, rolls, a bowl of fruits, and much more.

Katherine sat at the table already, looking up at Astoria as she walked into the kitchen and smiling up at her when she saw her.

"I cannot believe how fast time is going by," Katherine smiled at her, standing up from the table and moving to hug her younger sister."It seems like just yesterday you were a little girl trying to catch lady bugs in the yard."

Astoria returned the hug and smiled fondly of the memory. She used to like to play in the front yard of their house when she was younger, running around, climbing trees, jumping into the lake. She hadn't done anything like that in years.

"You know you always go overboard when it comes to celebrations," Astoria teased while looking down at the table filled with food."How on earth are we supposed to eat all of this?"

"I am not the one who planned all of this," Katherine shared with a small smile."The bread, jam, the scones, and the tarts were all sitting in a basket on the front porch when I went outside this morning. With a cute little note wishing you the best of days. Signed by Alessio."

"Oh, Katherine, I did not tell him where we're staying he-" Astoria began. She knew that Katherine didn't like many people knowing where they were staying. Usually, only the people she was compelling were allowed to know. But Alessio had been in the area and ran into her.

"It's alright, Astoria," Katherine assured her."The most dangerous thing about that man is probably his oven. I can always compel him if needs be."

Astoria nodded her head slowly as she sat down across from Katherine, wrapping her hands around the cup of raspberry tea that Katherine had set out for her.

"Are you going to see him today?" Katherine asked with a teasing smile.

Astoria blushed and took a sip of the tea. She had seen him almost every day since they met two weeks ago. She was meeting him at his shop later today.

"Yes, I am. I'll make sure to return in time for dinner," Astoria answered with a nod of her head."And to. . . Pack up our stuff."

Katherine smiled sympathetically and reached across the table, placing her hand on top of Astoria's."Astoria, if you wish to stay. . ."

"I won't leave you," Astoria insisted. She couldn't leave Katherine all alone. She wouldn't have anyone. She would be running for years by herself. Katherine didn't abandon her when she could've. Astoria couldn't abandon her now.

"Just because I have to run doesn't mean that you have to," Katherine urged."I would rather you be safe and happy."

"And who am I more safe with than a centuries old vampire?" Astoria countered with a small smile."I'm happy with you, Katherine."