1.7 | parts that will never be whole (revised)

question of the chapter:
would you rather be a witch, werewolf, or vampire?

Astoria's eyes fluttered open to the bright light of the sun shining in through her window, causing her to wake. She blinked a few times as she looked outside, seeing that the branches from the tree by her window were covered in a fresh layer of snow that wasn't there last night. She smiled softly. She always loved the snow, and today was no different. But that smile soon faltered as she remembered the events of the previous night. She didn't have time to lay around in bed and watch snowflakes fall from the branches every time the wind blew.

Astoria pushed the wool blanket away from her body, throwing her legs over the edge of the bed and slipping her feet into the slippers on the floor. She wished that she could go back to bed and wake up in a different world. One where things weren't so complicated. Where she did not have to go risk her life with a man that had deceived her.

It was Christmas Eve. Normally, Astoria would be in the kitchen baking by this time. Though Katherine always hired people to cook and bake for them, Astoria enjoyed it too. She liked doing it herself, drinking hot chocolate, going to listen to music, and looking at decorations. She enjoyed all of the festivities. This year, there would be none. She'd be lucky if she even saw Christmas Day.

"Katherine?" Astoria called out to her, wanting to check in with her before she had to leave. When she didn't get a response, she walked over to Katherine's door and knocked on it. The door pushed open when she touched it, but when Astoria looked inside it was completely empty. The bed had been made, but the room looked like it had been cleared. There were still some clothes in the wardrobe, but much of it was missing.

Astoria frowned, but she wouldn't let herself believe the truth just yet. She slowly backed out of the room and turned back into the hallway, quickly heading down the staircase and to the main foyer.

"Katherine?" She called out again. She hoped that Katherine had just gone outside for a moment, but that wasn't like her. They had made a deal. Neither of them went out without telling the other. But Katherine wasn't here. She checked the living room and the kitchen. She checked every room in the house, called out her name several times, but she received no response. She even ran out through the front door and onto the porch, almost slipping on the snowy and icy ground.

"Katherine!" She called out, looking around frantically, but all she could see was white. Their house was in a secluded area, the trees were covered and snow, as was the path out. There weren't any footprints either. Nothing that indicated anyone had been in this area in hours.

Astoria blinked quickly, trying to hold back tears. They had a plan. To stick together. Astoria knew that she messed up. She made a mistake. She wasn't able to see Klaus for who he really was, but she made a plan to resolve the issue. To keep Katherine safe, and it was one that she was going to follow through with. At least she wanted to, but now it was becoming clear. But there was still one exception. One way in which Katherine didn't abandon Astoria.

Astoria would never describe herself as an angry person. For the most part, she remained calm. Sure, she could be agitated or grow impatient, but she rarely yelled. She rarely hurt others with her words. She always tried to find a more peaceful solution. But right now, she found it hard to do that. She tried to compose herself, she couldn't show up to him like this. She knew the type of person Klaus was, or at least she knew what Katherine told her. If she showed up with her heart on her sleeve, if she showed him that she was vulnerable, he would take advantage of her. More than he already did. So she took a deep breath before she opened the door to the balcony. She closed her eyes, inhaled the crisp winter air, dried her tears, and stepped inside. She had to be strong.